Saturday, September 29, 2012

Let's Make Yogurt

I have made yogurt at times for many years, and it is easier with a commercial incubator such as this one, than to incubate it at low temperature in the oven.  

Using my incubator, I first make sure that all utensils are spanking clean.  That includes the pan for heating the milk, the spoons, the thermometer, and the container on the right which will contain the yogurt mixture.

Heat four cups of milk in a saucepan to the temperature of 185-190 degrees.  If you don't have a thermometer, watch for bubbles to form around the perimeter, and for skin to form on the top.

Remove from heat until it gets cooled to 105 degrees, when you can remove about 1 cup of cooled milk and stir about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of plain yogurt in with it.  When there are no clumps or lumps add this mixture to the other three cups and stir it all together and pour it into the incubator.

Plug it in and leave it alone for a minimum of four hours.  Some directions advise letting it process for many more hours, and the longer it sits the more firm it will get.  So there is an element of personal preference there.  

Do not add sweetener or fruit or anything else until you are ready to eat some.  Any other things will affect the process, I am told.  

I use a little of my previous yogurt as starter for the next batch.  I know you can Google yogurt makers and find them available in even more convenient configurations.  My daughter's has individual cups, which you may prefer to having one large container such as mine.

Bon appetit!

1 comment:

Backtalk is welcome here.