Thursday, December 20, 2012

A Lovely, Peaceful Day

As you know the weather forecast for the Midwest was full of warnings and doom for the winter storm event.  In the past, this was the sort of weather we expected when it was winter.  It was going to snow and then it was going to blow, and we'd have to shovel, and driving would be hazardous.

Remember when this happened all the time?

In those days, we had to bundle up, plow out, and get to work.  Oddly enough, no bad weather ever kept old folks from getting themselves to their doctor's appointment!  It was like a big social event, going to see the doctor.

But for us today, we wandered around the house, occasionally shoveling our way out to refill the bird feeders or to brush off the snow.  We had music playing and the tree alight, while I wrapped presents and drank cocoa, and tea. Then I did a little knitting, and then I took a nap.

It's too snowy to go out and do more shopping, or socializing.  Weight Watchers was cancelled.  (A lucky day for me.)  None of us who were going to lunch together thought it was worth risking our lives to get together for lunch.  We'll do it next week instead.

So it was a peaceful, quiet day, broken by the sound of the snowplow going by now and then.
But we enjoyed watching the snow accumulate, and watching the cardinals, juncos, chickadees, mourning doves, blue jays, and redpolls decimate the seed supply.

Merry Christmas!



11 comments:

  1. Your day sounds heavenly. I don't think I've ever seen juncos or redpolls at our feeders, although a quick search tells me I should see both. Since those larger birds can get to your birdseed, do squirrels and deer not eat it all?
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the squirrels visit, and the deer tour through at night and empty one of the feeders pretty regularly. But the birds themselves go through a lot of seed!

      Delete
  2. That sounds like a wonderful day. We just have rain and too-warm temps here. :-(

    Have a very Merry Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete

  3. All of those things are just SOME of what I love about snow. It makes every day a holiday.

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We kinda did the same thing on Tuesday. It was snowin' and blowin' here and there was NO need to head outside. Didn't get the mail or change out of my jammies. ahhhhhhhh
    And YES, I do remember the 'days of yore' when it would snow blue blazes and we made snow caves in the yard. :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a perfect snow day to me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lot of that is why I love snow. We've got snow in the forecast for Christmas Day evening - and I can NOT wait!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds absolutely lovely, perfect.

    Just stopping by to wish you a Merry Christmas, my friend. Stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, BJ. Have a wonderful day with your wonderful family.

      Delete
  8. I just returned from outside to feed the birds too. Lots of sparrows, bluejays, crows and red headed woodpeckers. Strange lot this season but it does entertain us. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I quite agree. We have three pairs of cardinals this year. So pretty and so entertaining!

    ReplyDelete

Backtalk is welcome here.