Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Success!


I took one knitting project with me when we went traveling last month.  It was difficult and I needed to concentrate on it all the time.

It was also a failure.  I tried and ripped it out numerous times and it is, once again, just a ball of lace weight yarn.

When all else fails, read the directions.  I decided to take a Craftsy course on shawl knitting and you have evidence of the power of a good teacher and a persistent student.

I'm always so paranoid about running out of yarn that I was a nervous wreck while I was doing that scalloped border bind off at the lower edge.  I had one ball of this beautiful yarn and it was pretty well used up.  Would I come up short with 1/3 of the border to go?

Who said that knitting is dull?  The suspense was enormous!  Good Guy would ask me, "Are you going to make it?"  and I would just sigh.  Who knows....

I learned a lot, but now I think I need to cast on another one so I don't forget what I have learned.  What do you think?  Do you need a shawl?  I think this will be stunning with my flannel shirts and jeans.

8 comments:

  1. Beeeautiful!!!!! Love knitting shawls. Its my favorite thing these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, you have managed to get through the trauma and nail biting with this shawl without tossing it! (which is what I'd do)
    It's really really beautiful, Ann. But DO NOT give it away!!! You could set a new fashion trend with your jeans and flannel.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next time I'm buying extra extra yarn. I should have had the swear bank nearby, because it sorely tried my patience!

      Delete
  3. It is absolutely beautiful....Wish I could still
    knit...still have bad hands and getting worse...
    Would love to knit for my grands....
    Love from NC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry about your hand pain. I try to regulate my time because my right shoulder and left thumb joint rebel when I overdo.

      Have you looked into a knitting machine? I've never tried them, or even priced them, but it's worth a thought.

      Delete
  4. Oh yes shawls and flannel are the perfect match! Handknits go with everything even crummy old sweats :) I say cast on another shawl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So then, I can wear a lace shawl with my grey sweatshirt that says "Cats, Books, Life is Sweet". Will I have to curl my hair?

      Delete

Backtalk is welcome here.