I seem to recall odd song lyrics at odd times...
And alas, I don't recall what bird was singing in the dead of night, either. But one of my favorite things about spring is bird watching in my yard. I don't see many exotic species here. We have resident mourning doves, nuthatches, chickadees, blue jays, and cardinals year round. I am always happy to see them.
I rejoice when the hummingbirds return in the spring. This year I saw them earlier than I ever have. Since I try to keep track I know this. This year it was May 12th, and last year, May 20th.
But this year I have a favorite, nesting in the maple tree on the lot line. It isn't a beautiful bird to look at, but I love to hear it. It is a catbird.
I can't quite figure out how to get the picture to show up here. But you may check here to see one.
My catbird is an excellent mimic and sits up there singing everyone's song for long periods at a time. To me, it is delightful because I don't have to be peering out the window, I can just open it and listen.
A lesser delight is a blackbird family nesting this year in the sagging soffits of the neighbor's garage. They had nested there before and one owner who lived there made good repairs and the blackbirds had to find new spots that year. But, sad to say, they have returned and they are noisy neighbors.
That's all the news from my yard for today. I do have some activity though. I bought bagged soil to fill my planters and shortly I will go and buy flowers, plant them, and say a little "Chipmunk Discouragement" rhyme. Wish me success.
See you soon. Leave a comment!
Black Bird from the Beatles...Only I would remember that song, right?
ReplyDeleteI think George Harrison wrote it...Why oh why would I remember that? Who knows?
Now back to read the rest of your post...LOL
Love from NC
I wonder if it's too late for me to go buy flowers and get my planters filled? I normally do that early May, but I didn't want to this year ... they'd have to go unwatered for the 2 weeks we were away. I could have/should have gotten to it as soon as we got back, but things got busy ... and well, here we are, hurtling toward mid-June already. I may just pass this year.
ReplyDeleteNo, go do it. Fill at least one with sweet smelling petunias and put it where you can smell them in the morning. You'll be happy you did, I promise.
DeleteI often sing walking around my garden, and for some odd reason, I was singing this song today!
ReplyDeletehttp://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/beatles/blackbird.html
Thank you, you clever thing!
Delete