Friday, August 1, 2014

What are You Reading Now???

I made a comment in a post on Ravelry yesterday that I save my rants for my blog.  I don't rant nearly as much as I THINK about ranting, because that just alienates people.

But we were discussing books that we enjoy that are labeled as Young Adult reading.  Even though I don't seek out stories that feature fairies, vampires, ghosts or zombies (who are also showing up in adult fare), I think that a well-written tale is suitable for all ages.

Looking at the above list, I am particularly resistant to zombies.

Gretchen Rubin, a favorite of mine, is a great lover of kid lit, and has started groups of other adults who admit to the same addiction.  Some of our favorites at Book Club have been books we never got to as children.  Anne of Green Gables, for instance.  (Sometimes you get tired of crime, gore, forensics, abuse, and evil---and escape to reading.)  Sometimes you'd just be happy to hang out in a sunny place with kind people and bumptious children.

Online we have been reading The Book Thief and Major Pettigrew's Last Stand.  I enjoyed both of these books immensely---though I had to listen to the Major as an audio book.  Slow going compared to the pace at which I can read.  Supposedly I can knit while I listen, though.

After that I read a couple of quickly read library books on my Nook, and I have at least three good reads stacked up from books I was given in swap packages.  One by Kathy Reichs and one by Phillipa Gregory.
I don't catch people using the Little Free Library, but the contents of it change from time to time and it must be visited.

One day two young girls stopped and knocked at my door to ask if they could really "just take a book??"
I told them by all means, if they could find anything suitable for them to read.  I should go check out a used book store and put some kid lit in there on purpose.  They were really cute though, because they were so excited about getting something for nothing.  Sort of like finding a dime on the sidewalk.

We read Orphan Train for our August book club meeting.  That's another book I'd recommend, both for its historical perspective and to highlight the plight of present day foster children.  There's that "higher purpose", but I just liked the characters.

(If you want to leave a comment, Jane, just leave one as "anonymous" and put your name at the end.  That's what Sandy does when she comments.)

Pardon the personal message inserted above, but my family say that they read my blog, but that commenting is made difficult by Google.  That may be true, but I only avoid commenting in places with "verification" which drives my astigmatism crazy.  I suppose some famous people get a lot of nasty spam and they have to do that, whereas I am basically anonymous.  It suits me fine.

Read on.  It's still summer after all.  Thanks for reading to the end.

13 comments:

  1. I have not been reading the books from the Rav group. I keep saying I will, I buy the book, and then I revert to my favorite genre...mysteries. I really enjoy the ones by Charles Todd, both the Bess Crawford and Inspector Rutledge. They're set in WWI. I just wish the authors would write more than 1 book a year since I usually finish the book in a couple of weeks. That leaves me 50 weeks of waiting and I'm not very patient. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, come on! You don't sit around waiting for 50 weeks! I'm not that gullible!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wrote you something and even put google acct and when I went to publish it disappeared and asked me to write something....Now to try to remember what I wrote.....Oh yes, books to read: I read a blog of a gal from WIs. that writes historical-factual love woven stories of WWII...I have not found them down here in NC, but thought you and your reader friends UP North may see some of her stuff...Here is her blog: http://www.liztolsma.com/ She is a sweet gal...so you may like some of her stuff...
    And the picture of the lake is great....Looks a little like near the gulf where I lived for a time...I used to swim in the big lake near copper harbor at a friend's parents camp....BRR, freezing water even in July and Aug.....And Portage Entry near Houghton where my parents friends had a camp and a sauna....steam hot sauna to freezing cold water....But they didn't get sick like others did....
    Enough rambling...
    Love from NC

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never went from the sauna into Lake Superior, but we used to go from one into the lake and it was lots of fun. Lots of my nurses training classmates' families had saunas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just finished "Sycamore Row" by John Grisham. Wow. Ann, you will love it. I don't remember why I started reading "The Hunger Games" series, but I devoured all of them, and after we saw the first one at the movies, my husband did the same. I can't read about zombies or vampires, although "The Walking Dead" could be my all-time favorite show on TV!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read the first in the Hunger Games series and I liked it too. I find that projected world very dreary, of course, which is the point. I guess I had other things I needed to read and didn't read the rest of the series----yet.

      Delete
    2. I found I couldn't put the second one down. The third one, eh. But my husband liked it.

      Delete
  6. I just finished reading REKINDLED by Tamera Alexander on my Kindle. I really enjoyed this Christian historical novel. Both my husband and I loved ORPHAN TRAIN too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cute, Karen---reading Rekindled on you Kindle. I'll watch for it. It sounds good.

      Delete
  7. Ann, it is awesome that you have a LFL!!! I can't wait to own instead of rent so I can build one. If you build it, they will come - right?? :) ~ Sarah Arrowsmith

    ReplyDelete

Backtalk is welcome here.