Wednesday, November 23, 2011

The Annual Thanks-Fest

Ahh, tomorrow! The annual favorite holiday of many! No presents to buy, just food, family, and football.

While my kids were growing up, the feast took second place to the fact that it was the beginning of the firearm deer hunt in Wisconsin. Our hunter couldn't wait to get down to his deer camp---the tiniest little shack I've ever seen.

But after staying out in the cold watching for deer from dawn til dusk, it was comforting to touch base with family and have a big carb loaded dinner. The very one we are all looking forward to tomorrow.

I will forgo my favorites, which would be dressing, green bean casserole, and apple pie. But there are a great many other delicious things to look forward to.

I have hopes that the Pack will beat the Lions, but I am not confident enough to place any bets on the outcome. Anything can happen.

Of course, the main event is really is in the title of the holiday. Giving Thanks. And I try always to count my blessings, which adds immeasurably to my happiness in life. I have a very long list of things for which I am grateful, and my good friends are close to the top of this list.

My family and faith, friends, health, are just the beginning. I hope you have some quiet time to reflect on the many reasons you have to be grateful tomorrow. (You can even start early---or extend the thankfulness beyond the holiday if you wish.) I'm pretty sure the Lord is pleased with our gratitude all the time.

Happy Thanksgiving from our house to yours!

3 comments:

  1. It's going to be a quiet day here today...just Dave and I. Turkey breast in the crockpot, sweet potatoes (baked), asparagus and maybe squash. No dessert this year (we are trying to be good!). And a short hike in the woods (the hunters are gone for a couple of weeks!).

    I'm thankful (truly) for blogging....it has let me meet so many nice people. Including YOU. You make me smile. THANK YOU.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even when I think I'm down, I have so very much to be thankful for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's interesting that your kids wait for WI firearm season. I guess you all are very close to WI :) I am sure you had a fabulous day with family!

    ReplyDelete

Backtalk is welcome here.