Saturday, July 14, 2012

Loafing

I read this week that routine is good, but if every day blurs into the next, time seems to go more quickly.

I can not attribute this wise saying to the proper author, but I think I read it on The Happiness Project blog.  But who knows, because I have been entertaining myself by reading both online and with Actual Books this summer in the heat. And I feel as though I'm "enduring" more than experiencing the season.

My sewing room is the warmest place in the house, so I'm sure not entertaining myself in there!  The west side of the house benefits most from AC, so our afternoons are spent there, reading.

I have read in no particular order, these books.  I will rate them from 1-10, with 10 being "Don't Miss This!"

1.  The Unbidden Truth by Kate Wilhelm    (7).  Great characters who stay in character throughout.

2.  Moloka'i  by Alan Brennert     (8)  Read for book club and I learned a lot about the treatment of lepers and leprosy in Hawaii in the last century.

3.  Second Chance by James Patterson and Andrew Gross  (7)

4.  The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins  (8)        I may be the last person in the USA to read this.  I enjoyed it even though I found the premise troubling. 

5.  Delicious and Suspicious by Riley Adams  (4)  Silly--like so many "murder mysteries" set in bakeries, quilt shops, and such.

6.  Split Image by Robert B. Parker  (7).  There's never much action in Parker's books; I just love the snappy dialog.

7.  Big Jack by J.D. Robb.   (8)  I read this on my Nook, and I know I liked it, but I have the worst time remembering stuff I read on it!  And when it's a library book, it expires and I can't go back to refresh my shaky memory.

8.  Star Island by Carl Hiaasen or maybe Hiassen .  (8)  Guilty pleasure.  Full of gross stuff and bad language but so, so funny.

The only thing I've read this year that I'd advise you not to miss is Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand.  A truly memorable book on many levels.  Louis is truly a man you need to know.

We'll be off enjoying fine music for a few days.  I'll have a computer, but may not take time to check in.

6 comments:

  1. Unbroken is one of my all time favorites...so powerful! I just finished The Chaperone by Laura Moriarty....very nice. Read it for the book club...I thought I was the only person that has not read the hunger games...might give it a try...looking forward to reading your past and future posts

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey (raising my hand in the air)....I haven't read Unbroken either. How embarassing!

    Now I have a nice list of books from you, Ann, to see if the library has on the shelves. I was over there this week and picked up WHAT ALICE FORGOT. I struggled through half of the book and gave up. Very tedious and thin. Now I have a couple of Ivan Doig novels to see if I like them.

    Stay away from your sewing room....you'll be a puddle!

    Miss you,
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have read Unbroken, but hadn't read Hunger Games. I have a lifelong habit of being purposely behind the trends. I started a book this afternoon so full of disagreeable scumbags, that I'm sending it back to my friend unread. It's claim to fame was that it was set in my hometown. It makes us all look bad, I'm afraid.

      (Miss you too. I thought about calling several times this week.) Maybe the end of next week. Maybe from Chicago. Who knows?

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the book ideas, I am always looking for more. I just bought 'Game of Thrones' have to see what all the fuss is about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am reading the book, The Dead Sea Scrolls from the 1950s. Fascinating reading this summer. I just finished Welcome to Mars by James Blish, a surprise especially since it was written in the 1970s before some discoveries were made on Mars AND it is 42N area based - from an earth standpoint. Keep on reading.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. You've been busy! Off to add Unbroken to my reading list :) Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Backtalk is welcome here.