Friday, October 5, 2012

Friday

It's the First Friday of October and the anniversary of the day I first became a Mom---which has been my most important and satisfying job (so far).

Here in the U.P. it is windy and cold, our leaves are blowing around and there is no doubt that the seasons have changed.  But on this day so many years ago in Chicago is was a golden day with a certain Fall smell in the air that always makes me smile now.  (It was probably some combination of leaf smell, car exhaust from Lake Shore Drive, and breeze off Lake Michigan.)

That was Fragment Number one.  We are gathering here today on this solemn occasion to share our week's end bits with one another.  Thanks to Mrs. 4444 of Half Past Kissin' Time.

This whole going to the hospital gig is getting old.  I've had my heart checked out (okay). The gall bladder is gone. And this week Good Guy had carpal tunnel surgery on his right hand.  (He's a southpaw, needs both hands done--so opted for the right hand first---after he was done golfing for the summer.)

I feel like one of the old ladies who used to elicit an eye roll, when they would gather for lunch and discuss their doctors and surgeries.  To paraphrase the poet, "I am not resigned."

Fragment Number Two:  Sister #2 and Daisy spent an afternoon with us yesterday en route to a reunion in Wheaton, Illinois.  She came bearing gifts, and that's always fun.  One bag was full of scrap fabrics, one was full of two kinds of yarn, and the last was a project for me to work on over the weekend.  Which is what I will do when I'm done sweeping here.

I have had a number of people mention that making yogurt seems.......silly, I guess, would be the best word.  Like a lot of bother for something you can easily buy.  That's the way I feel about making marshmallows.  Why bother?  But I eat a lot of yogurt, and it isn't cheap---and it isn't always that good.  Sorry, commercial yogurt makers who shall remain nameless....

Anyway, somebody asked and that's why I posted it.

It is really much more fun to anticipate baking a lovely apple pie instead of a birthday cake.

I did a really stupid thing this week.  Well, maybe more than one, but the one I'm willing to share is that I must have thrown my stack of envelopes containing checks and billing stubs away with my paper recycling.  I have to remember not to do those two chores at the same time.  I got to thinking about my day, and couldn't remember ever mailing the checks.  So I called the cardiologist's office and they never got my check.

I take comfort in the fact that the recipients will surely send more bills.  I never thought I'd say that. I mourn the loss of my five stamps, though.  Boo-hoo!

Four Friday Fragments.  That'll do for now.  Have a great weekend!

13 comments:

  1. Birthday pie is much better than cake in my opinion. Solemn occasion? - hmm maybe there was too much auto exhaust in your scent memory. Scents are well known for producing memories which reminds me I should shower.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every year I bake Dave a birthday apple pie. I'll send you a piece.

    Good Guy, too? Oh, dear. I think the hospitals have enough of your money (and pain),but somehow it seems to come in bursts.

    So getting a nice visit from your daughter (bearing gifts) seems appropriate right now. Should have been a large bottle of wine in there somewhere, too!

    Thinking of you and admitting that I'm too lazy to make yogurt and have also thrown away a few perfectly good stamps myself. Although the weren't attached to a bill.

    Hope this week is stress free.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My weekend task is to work on a quilt, plus I need to take a little time off to attend a quilt show. Busy, busy.

      Delete
  3. hope everything improves!! I have done the cleaning thing and lost more stuff I never intended to, I really should not multi task in that area either!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that exasperating? To be trying to do a good thing, and losing important stuff? You should see my workroom just now with projects galore stacked here and there. I need your armoire that you showed this week!

      Delete
  4. I never got my FFs up and running today, and it just isn't gonna happen now.

    Since I pay bills only once a month, I'd lose A LOT more checks and stamps than just 5 were I to pull the boo boo you did this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i was trying to do all the accumulated medical stuff in one swell foop, as they say, and so all the doctors will just have to starve until the next billing cycle. Glad FH wasn't one of my medical people. LOL

      Delete
  5. Always a pleasure to stop by- happy anniversary of your first day as a Mom. I make my Dan send me a picture of himself now on his birthday since he's unlikely to be anywhere close to New England! TGIF!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is an excellent idea. My firstborn doesn't ever smile when you haul out a camera---all that orthodontia and we don't get to admire it.

      Delete
  6. Gotta love it when the old bodies start to betray us! Ours are going in that direction and it gets so tedious. The Superhero is in physical therapy for back and hip pain. I've been having lots of neck and shoulder pain......it's always something!

    It hasn't gotten cold here,but they keep promising....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the truth! I think the FIT channel needs to have a show for grannies---stretches for crones or something like that.

      Most of my maladies have to do with my joints, a legacy from my parents and being terminally clumsy.

      Delete
  7. Some of the ingredients listed in commercial yogurts are eye-openers. I remember my dad making yogurt 45 years ago (can that be right????) and I have made it and still do occasionally. We eat a ton of it. But we've developed a taste for Greek-style yogurt, and the extra time and mess involved makes it not so much worth it. I sometimes still make regular yogurt to keep on hand for recipes (cream substitute) but mostly I check labels and buy the good stuff in bulk at Costco. Yeah, a dozen doesn't last a whole week in this house.

    ReplyDelete

Backtalk is welcome here.