Saturday, October 12, 2013

Solve my Mystery!

This morning as I poured the first and best cup of coffee of the day, I happened to notice the reddest sunrise I ever saw.  I mean, EVER!

Followed shortly thereafter by a whang-doodler of a thunderstorm.  It was of short duration, but of epic ferocity.

Red sky in the morning, sailors take warning?

Of course, all this wind and wildness is ripping down our leaves in short order.  But before it's too late, I need to pose a question to you all.

Can you identify this tree and it's "fruit"?

This a a volunteer tree which towers over my lilac hedge:


Looking like this from the ground.  The leaf pattern looks like this:



And for the first time this year it bore "fruit" which looks like this:


Help me out here, friends!  Is this a nut tree of some sort?

In the meantime, have a great weekend!

15 comments:

  1. No clue. It looks familiar, probably from looking at it when we sit on your deck. We were told that if a monkey will eat the fruit, it's safe for humans to eat. ny monkeys swinging through the yard?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since you have returned home, we're a few monkeys short.

      Delete
  2. No clue. It looks familiar, probably from looking at it when we sit on your deck. We were told that if a monkey will eat the fruit, it's safe for humans to eat. ny monkeys swinging through the yard?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm no tree expert, but I want to say walnut? Looks rather like the tree and "fruit" of the walnut tree at the first house owned by my daughter and son in law. Of course, that was 7 years ago an I've slept a few nights since then. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was wondering that. Would I let the green stuff just dry off and see if a nut lies within? I feel dumb, not my favorite sensation.

      Delete
  4. That looks like the tree my husband and I have been fighting over for 25 years. I want to cut it down because for at least two seasons of the year, I have to wear shoes so as not to hurt my feet on the nuts. Not to mention we attract every squirrel in the county. See if this answers the question: http://www.wikihow.com/Identify-Hickory-Trees

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pam. Does your tree bear fruit that can be eaten?

      Delete
    2. No idea, to be honest, Ann. I never tried. After they're laying on the ground, scavenged by squirrels and covered with other leaves, there's nothing about them that appeals to me.

      Delete
  5. I'm nearly positive it's a walnut. You have to let the green part dry out, then chip it off. Inside you'll find the nut which you will then have to crack to get out the meats.

    When I was a kid we had a black walnut - but the outer part on those fruit was REALLY black when they dried.

    Fun stuff!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm nearly positive it's a walnut. You have to let the green part dry out, then chip it off. Inside you'll find the nut which you will then have to crack to get out the meats.

    When I was a kid we had a black walnut - but the outer part on those fruit was REALLY black when they dried.

    Fun stuff!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Black walnut tree!!! We have two and i call them the ankle rollers. Thise walnuts are killer!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Black walnut tree!!! We have two and i call them the ankle rollers. Thise walnuts are killer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So is that a good thing or a bad thing? I checked out how to process my black walnut crop. It's kind of labor intensive, but maybe worth the effort.

      Delete
    2. Yes, Leanne! And I don't try to walk barefoot!

      Delete

Backtalk is welcome here.