And all through the house,
Not a creature was stirring,
Not even a mouse.......
I'm never quite sure what's afoot the day after. Is it relief or is it just a big let-down? I suppose it's a different thing for each person, and it's probably a different thing each year. I am contented and feeling wonderfully blessed this year, now that Christmas celebrations are over.
I don't have a tradition of celebrating Boxing Day, so that isn't on my radar. I do have one more box to send to someone who's in Europe over the holidays so I could legitimately send the gift late. My one last Christmas-related chore.
My Christmas with my sisters is also in the future, because one is out of the area to enjoy Christmas with her daughter and son-in-law.
In an unrelated update, I knit many pairs of socks for my kids for Christmas, but the piece de resistance was this pair of sneaker slippers which was a request from my grandson. I think it was a request------he posted a picture on Facebook without any comment. Could it be a hint?
I couldn't find a pattern for the ones he posted, but I did find another pattern on Ravelry for slippers that look like sneakers and I'll show you how they turned out.
The pattern by Joan Hamer shows longer legs which look like sport socks with stripes at the top, but the recipient lives in Florida, land of the flip-flop. What does he need with long warm socks on his legs? (I said to myself.) It wasn't because I was too lazy to knit them, either. I had plenty of yarn, and time enough to do them. It just seemed to me they'd be more useful if they were less hot.
So I find myself without a knitting project. I stashed away a baby sweater when I rearranged my project bag and it hasn't reappeared yet. In the meantime I have another interest to pursue.
Good Guy fulfilled my only Christmas request. I wanted a portable, reliable, light sewing machine which I could take to quilting events and retreats. He got me this little beauty which gets rave reviews from my friends who own her sister machines.
I
She's a lovely, light addition to my stable of useful stitching paraphenalia (spell-check won't pass any spelling I come up with for that word. Forgive me.) I now have four sewing machines. The one I've had the longest was a wedding gift in the early 1960's. It's a wonderful machine still, from the days when Singer was the brand name to buy.
My second machine was purchased at a yard sale and had been sitting in a garage for awhile with nobody to love it. I parted with $25.00 and somehow loaded the piece of furniture containing a sewing machine into my trunk. It was jammed full of lint. but after it was cleaned and oiled, it ran quietly and beautifully. (It was made in New Jersey in 1947.) It doesn't have fancy stitches, but it's perfect for piecing quilts. Quiet and reliable.
The third machine has been used a lot by someone, judging from the stuff that came along with it. Good Guy went to an auction in town and came home with a desk full of sewing supplies and a "portable" sewing machine which had a service tag attached with this date on it. 7/17/90.
It's portable in that it is in a carrying case. However it weighs about 40 pounds, at the very least and I don't think it's easy to tote around. I have gotten it to stitch, though and it's usable, if not "friendly".
This new "Little Sister" is very sweet though, and I will love her. I need to devise a good guide for a 1/4 inch seam and then we're good to go.
So that's a little bit of what's happening here on the day after Christmas. In the time it's taken me to write this and take pictures, check dates, etc. more is stirring. Bacon is frying nearby and someone is making fried potatoes and eggs, so life goes on-------even after Christmas is over.
Happy New Year, my friends.
Oh she is a beauty...and light weight....Now that is great...
ReplyDeleteLooking forward to seeing some quilts made on this new
addition to your sewing crew....
Have a great New Year..
Tell Anita thanks again for the pasty crust recipe....It is a keeper because I can now make crust that doesn't flop every time...Finally after all these years....
Love from NC
I will surely pass along your thanks to Anitra. It is wonderful crust for pasties in that it is both tender, but sturdy, and easy to handle. I'm so glad your pasty making was a big success! Happy New Year!
DeleteHow sweet - a nice portable machine for retreats and the like. If I were lucky enough to be able to participate in retreats, etc., I should like a lighter wight machine, too. Mine is pretty heavy!
ReplyDeleteWishing you a wonderful 2014!
I don't really go off to retreats very much, but I do have a regular meeting with fellow quilters almost every week, and sometimes I would really like to sew. I usually do "cutting", because I hate to cut and it goes better when I can distract myself with chatting with friends.
DeleteThose slippers are adorable! I don't know how to knit, but plan to learn over the summer. Those would be great Christmas gifts for the grands.
ReplyDeleteThe knitting on this pattern is pretty simple. But it is "fiddly" with crocheting around the soles and lots of sewing bit together. You can well imagine what a treat that was for me. (The very reason I own circular needles and don't do much sewing up.)
DeleteI love my GEM.............hope you are going to as well. Good Guy was listening!!!
ReplyDeleteAnd your other machines know you loved them but don't get rid of them!
Happy after the holidays to you. We have one to get through and then hopefully everything will get back to 'normal'. The grocery store has been hideous with people purchasing enough to feed a small city! I'm looking forward to a new year with new handwork challenges and some quilting (!) to boot!
I DID knit a cowl and crocheted a fun scarf recently, too. Now I'm out of needle/hook projects, so embroidery is next in line.
He had to listen. I said it was the only thing I wanted. He's very good to me, anyway, and I did get other neat stuff. I'm thinking I'd like one of those month fabric packages from Keepsake Quilting. HeeHee.
Delete