I'm pretty sure Maxine is copyrighted and I'd go to jail for posting her image--but surely you've seen the grumpy, sunglassed, sourpuss image of Maxine while you're looking for a birthday card at the mall.
I was looking through my fabric catalog, dreaming of projects to come, when I came across a fabric printed with Maxine images and pithy sayings. It's supposed to be Christmas fabric---the time for warm fuzzy feelings and thoughts of good cheer. You remember.
Now, before I sound like I'm critical, I have to tell you that I laughed. What I'm wondering about is "Why?"
Maxine is growling Christmas greetings such as, "Have yourself a merry little Christmas. Just don't drag me into it." Or "I baked! It's a Christmas miracle!" or my favorite---"My soul's had enough chicken soup. I want some chocolate."
Is is that deep inside we want to be free to be grumpy, and have that be acceptable behavior? More like I'd like to be grumpy and have it be profitable. Now there's a combination you don't see so much. I don't even feel grumpy that often, so maybe it's good to have a surrogate Grumpy Person, like a designated driver---who can be grumpy for us all.
Whatever it's all about, nobody bears her any ill will, and I even send Maxine cards to people strong enough to bear up to the laughter. So be who you are, Maxine. You are a valuable public servant. Hee-hee.
She may be irreverent but she is funny - you can't help laughing. I'm not sure you WOULD get locked up for breach of copyright you know. Maxine images are all over the internet
ReplyDeleteI think your analysis is spot-on :)
ReplyDelete