Monday, November 15, 2010

Firearm Deer Season Begins


Deer hunters are said to like a bit of snow for tracking purposes.  This was the scene on our street ten minutes ago.

I haven't heard any gunfire, though we probably have the most deer per square foot here than in the whole state.  ( There are restrictions about hunting in town.  Even when they decided to cut down on the deer herd.)

Nobody at our house is a hunter.  Good Guy is more of a Gatherer, and will shop the whole town for bargains.  I don't like to shop at all.  I venture out for fabric and yarn on occasion but other shopping is a definite chore.  Online shopping is nice for books, though bookstores would be my one exception to the shopping hatred. 

I am not a lover of snow and cold any more.  Any day from November to April that the roads are clear and we do not have to drive in snow is a day to give thanks, in my book.  And this week, while I'm still navigating with a quad cane, is a day to avoid going out in the snow.  Unless I get totally stir crazy with cabin fever.  It's a mite early for that, but you never know....

5 comments:

  1. I believe you had about 2 and 2/3 times as much snow as we did. ;-)

    I'm so sorry that you don't love the fluffy white stuff. I do. I love it outside while I'm inside with my yellow glow of lamplight, my nice warm furnace, a cozy cup of latte, and a great jig saw puzzle on the go.

    That is the stuff of winter delight!

    If it's slick at ALL up there, don't get out and break your neck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've mentioned it a million times I'm sure, but my husband is in the UP right now :) He's pleased with the weather - just right for deer season.

    I sure hope that your knee is coming along nicely.

    I know exactly what you mean about driving in the snow. I love the look of it, but you can't pay me enough to drive in it.

    Kristin _ The Goat

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot believe you are dealing with snow already!
    I hope you are feeling better soon too; be careful in that snow..
    Our nephew who is 9 got a buck with his bow and arrow the other day...first hunting trip..I'm not big on the whole hunting thing but I do get it and we are proud of the little guy! What a lucky shot!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We were on the rain side of that storm - only a few flurries around 42N HQ. You live in a beautiful part of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mr.4444 is in Nissula tonight, possibly hoping for a deer tomorrow (if he ever makes it out of the camp-haha.) Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete

Backtalk is welcome here.