Veteran's Day, here in the States, Remembrance Day in Canada, and Armistice Day in parts of Europe.
My earliest memories are of my mother writing letters to my dad, and her brothers during WW2, and to listening to news of battles and such by Kaltenborn, and other radio newscasters.
Multiplying our little story by the thousands and thousands of people who have been serving in the armed services since then in war and in peace, and there are a great many people to thank.
These people have all had their lives disrupted, some in earth shattering ways. We appreciate the sacrifices you have made and we pray if you are in harm's way, that you will return home intact.
My picture was taken at the USS Arizona Memorial at Pearl Harbor. This is a solemn and sobering visit to make while you enjoy the paradise that Hawaii represents.
I feel blessed that none of my children have had to serve in this way. And I thank, with all my heart, those who have been willing to go. May you always know the gratitude of your country.
Nothing can take away memories, good or bad. Nice tribute to your loved ones on this special day.
ReplyDeleteI read the book "Once Upon a Town: The Miracle of the North Platte Canteen" that talked about the people of North Platte, NE who greeted all of the troop trains that went through. I think I cried buckets of tears on that drive -- Oh that's right, it was an Audio book and I was on one of my solo driving trips.
ReplyDeleteAnyway -- I'm proud to honor our Vets. I'm grateful for their service for this country.
Kristin - The Goat
When I was a little elementary school girl, we had friends (in Hayward!) who had boys just a bit older - - - Lee was my hero.
ReplyDeleteLee, of course, grew up ahead of me, and when I was in high school, he was serving our country in Viet Nam. He never returned.
Years later, while accompanying a group of 8th graders from our school to Washington DC, one of my most challenging students heard I'd had a friend killed in Viet Nam. When we went to the VN Memorial, even though it was getting nearly too dark to see - - - he insisted on helping me find Lee's name, and even made a "rubbing" of it for me.
That touched my heart in oh so many ways - - - and made me remember- - - and be thankful for all the sacrifice we all so glibly enjoy.