Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Tricky Christmas Memories

I've spoken here before about Flylady, helper and encourager of the terminally disorganized.

She encourages us to begin holiday prep long ahead so we don't get caught short and unprepared at the last minute.  It isn't as though we don't know that it's coming.  It's pretty predictable that way.

So she sets up a Holiday Control Journal, and you (ideally) spend a few minutes really thinking of the essential things that "make" the holidays for you.   That is what this post is about.

Even though I have this mental picture of sleigh rides and snowmen over the holidays, that doesn't really ever happen to me except vicariously by watching television.  So I was surprised when I pared down what's  really essential.

The great holiday smells  of good stuff baking, candles, piney woods, family favorite baked goods.

A Christmas Carol by Dickens.

Candle arrangements

Celebrating with my sisters and their families.

Sending off care boxes to my kids who won't be home.

Christmas Eve service with candles burning and everyone singing Silent Night, while the pastor praying we don'd burn the church down.

I don't need to decorate outdoors, or even have a tree---though we always do have a real tree.  I don't need to see A Wonderful Life, though I often do.  I don't need wassail-----scratch that.  I do need wassail.  And eggnog, at least once.

Happy preparations, everyone.  I'm off to stock up on birthday cards.

4 comments:

  1. In my cleaning frenzy the past few weeks, I happened upon my FlyLady Holiday Control Journal. I've learned that all I really need is a 3-4' tabletop tree and to send out Christmas Cards. I have a few other things that I'd like to have happen but if it doesn't happen I'm OK with it. When I go home for Christmas at my Mom's, well the list is a bit longer. LOL

    Happy Birthdays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful exercise! We are moving on Friday, and things will look different this year as we unpack and try to settle in. I think I will take the time to pare down to a few things that are essentials for us. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know exactly what you're talking about. It's amazing the smells, tastes and views we recall during Christmas time.

    The time goes by so quickly in December, probably because there's always something going on. I love this time of year, even though I spend it alone with my dog.

    Have a wonderful day and a Merry Christmas season!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oddly I haven't tried wassail. I may have to this year. Our first snow of the season is falling now.

    ReplyDelete

Backtalk is welcome here.