Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Rave On, Eleanor!

It's Women's History Month and I'd like to salute one of my favorite forebearing First Ladies.



Eleanor Roosevelt became a force for good in her own right, which is the context in which I planned to salute her. But when I started reading up on some quotations attributed to her I laughed so hard I'll salute her as my favorite political comedy writer.

You know already that she made many contributions to the working people, using her influence to point out inequities. Perhaps we need her in that role once again. She also addressed the futility of war, greed, misplaced ambition, and other human weaknesses.

But here are a couple of my favorites:

Campaign behavior for wives: Always be on time. Do as little talking as humanly possible. Lean back in the parade car so everybody can see the president.


I once had a rose named after me and I was very flattered. But I was not pleased to read the description in the catalogue: no good in bed, but fine up against a wall.


Oh, Eleanor, you make me laugh!!!

1 comment:

  1. I hadn't heard those before and I'm always on the lookout for a good Eleanor quote. She's a hoot.

    ReplyDelete

Backtalk is welcome here.