Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Wednesday (Reading and Knitting)



I have been doing both, but I am finding it difficult to get the e-books I order from the library finished in the allotted two week time. My reader is handy in some ways, but I find I'm still partial to actual -------pages and covers------sort of books.

Above we have the January knitting projects that had to travel with us. On the left is the thermal stitch lower border of Anne Hansen's hat pattern. It is really a beautiful texture and I made it of washable wool. It is very like the color of Good Guy's sweater, though it is a different yarn. Honestly, it really is. It matches his jacket---so I guess he must like that color.

The sock is the one Mrs. 4444 teased me about "knitting from a book". I really used wool yarn for this too. It is from a pattern in Nancy Bush's first edition of Folk Socks-----the Finnish sock. I am ready to start the toe on the first one. I thought this would be very challenging, but it is much simpler than it appears.

We are reading Murphy's Law by Rhys Bowen for book club. It was a real page turner for me, sort of a Perils of Pauline plot. (Not full of deep thoughts, if you're looking for philosophy but entertaining in its way.)

The books I didn't finish on my e-reader were Children of God by Mary Doria Russell, the sequel to The Sparrow. The second was Zone One, a grim tale about NYC post plague and some other apocalyptic event which made human life worth very little. Very depressing stuff.

The book I need to finish today is The Wedding Quilt by Jennifer Chiaverini. Since I'm going to hang out with my quilting friends today, I need to stop hanging out here and read instead.

Thanks for the visit. Come again, as my mom used to say.


3 comments:

  1. I remember my mom knitting afghans;whenever anyone talks about knitting, it always reminds me of her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the sock pattern! That's really unique!

    And Good Guy will look 'dashing' in his matching hat and coat. And warm,too!

    You're a busy girl this week. I'm a slug. Maybe next week will be more productive!

    HEY, it's snowing outside.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you recommend "Sarah's Key"? If so, thank you. I really enjoyed it.

    Are you at all interested in participating in an online book club? It would be once a month on Thursday evenings via Skype. So far, a few people from Michigan, one from Canada.

    Pam

    ReplyDelete

Backtalk is welcome here.