Friday, July 6, 2012

Five on Friday

I usually sweep together my "bits of the week" and dump them on my friend, Mrs. 4444 at Half Past Kissin' Time.   However I am without bits this week and besides that, I am awfully late to link up, so I will write about something else.

Once a blogger decides to have their comments count up to benefit others somehow, they become aware of many worthy causes that are competing for their attention and donation.  So one of the first places I found and trusted was an organization called Charity Navigator.  They call themselves the guide to intelligent giving, and gave me information such as what percentage of what they raise goes to the people who are supposed to be helped.  (Good to know.)

Other interesting ideas have come from other blogs, from the news, from friends, and newsletters. Just a couple weeks ago I found a posting from Be More With Less that sent me to a story about a man who decided on his fiftieth birthday that he was going to set this amazing goal.  He was going to try to bring about a change for someone in every country of the world.  He was going to study, find a cause, and make a personal connection whenever possible.

From another blog I read from time to time I found Kiva, which does microlending to people in other countries.  The amount you can lend is modest, plus as the money is repaid, you can use the same money to help another person.  (I think this is really cool, because you can scroll through people and countries and choose, and if you'd like to join a team of givers, you can do that too.)

If you stop by here you know that I am a book lover, so I am crazy about the idea of Little Free Libraries.  The idea here is to build community in your own neighborhood by putting a sturdy waterproof box on a pole in your front yard, stock it with books, and encourage your neighbors to take a book and leave a book to share.  The organization will sell you a box or provide you with plans to build one, and provide a label to attach to explain what it's all about.

Another worthwhile cause I have found is Forgotten Children, which has many volunteer helpers, which keeps administrative costs to a minimum.  Check them out.  They are doing good work.

I have had contact with other causes that I feel do a good job, too.  I wrote letters for Soldiers Angels, and learned about Doctors Without Borders (a personal favorite), agencies that help the children of prisoners, a facility nearby that serves addicts and introduces them to the Lord, Heifer International, the Salvation Army, the local women's shelter, and the cancer closet.

It is only fair to tell you that if you donate to a place, and they have an address to contact you, you will receive further pleas for money.  Let the donor beware.

I'm not sharing this with you because I'm so generous, but because sometimes I benefit from the vision that others have, and I'm trying to pass that along.  I am so challenged by the man who wants to change every country!  I will tell you more about that just in case you don't hunt for that link yourself, but not tonight.   Come back again.

In the meantime give something away!  Even if it's just a happy grin.

 
 

7 comments:

  1. We're forming a small online book club, with live discussions via something like Skype once a month, and a club page on Facebook. Are you interested? I ask because you seem to have the same literary tastes that I do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds interesting and it could be fun. Our book group all say it has made us read genres we don't usually pick for ourselves.

      Delete
    2. Great! And that's exactly why we have book clubs. I'll give you info as we get closer as to day of the week and time. A few participants will be from the LP and one from Canada so far. If you have a preference as to day of the week/time, let me know. I think our first discussion might be on Jodi Picoult's newest.

      Delete
  2. Lovely post and thank you sooooo much for giving Keri's group such a nice shout out and link.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, these are some incredible 'institutions' of giving of the heart. I admire those who share and give of their time or money. Fantastic, informative post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ann, our group now has a Facebook page called Our Book Club. (Original, no?) I think this link might work.
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/284977421610322/
    Take a look. A few women have joined and we'd love to have you. And bring whoever you think might enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found the site and was going to introduce myself but couldn't find a way to add anything. I'll send you some skype info somehow. Please send me an address at upannie at gmail dot com.

      Great name for the book club. It has to be something an old lady can remember. (grin)

      Delete

Backtalk is welcome here.