Last night we heard Diana Krall sing and play a mean jazz piano, with a great back up group of a guitar, drums, and bass. Diana used to open for Tony Bennett, and she's a formidable talent. Along her path she accumulated a fine husband, (Elvis Costello) and has five year old sons. (Twins, I assume.)
We stayed in an old fashioned, European style inn, with dormitory style bathrooms----for those of you who lived in old-fashioned dorms. Actually, it was presented as a Bed and Breakfast, but the people there weren't as friendly as real B&B folks are. Maybe it's just my Midwest mindset, but I can strike up conversations and be friendly to strangers without being pushy. I think.
We were in Evanston, where it was hot, just like almost everywhere else in the country. The farmers in Illinois and Indiana are very concerned about the drought conditions, because 30% or more of the corn crop is already lost. Very worrisome.
My e-mail urged me to join a zillion others and pray for rain. Plenty of nice gentle rain. Join us if you wish.
Anyway, today we returned home where it is now cooler and clouded over and perhaps there's some thunder in the air. We won't turn down rain here, either. It will probably rain, since I soaked all my planters and watered the garden a bit. My garden has peas forming, cucumbers climbing the fence, blossoms all over the bean plants, and tomato plants like a jungle! Tomorrow's job is to do some pruning and tying I think.
I am always happy to be back home. The Rearranger is resting in my suitcase, and I am happy to see all three of our animals. They are glad we came home to open the windows for them, so they could smell and hear what's really happening. Bliss.
Stay cool, wherever you are!
Des Moines just issued a request to its residents to "only water the yard every other day, and only run the washing machine when you have a full load." HUH? Because I know I wash 2 socks at a time...
ReplyDeleteDid all the lovely rain we got here in Hayward go south of you yesterday?
ReplyDeleteI think the bulk of it went north of Rapids too, and we sure do need it there.
We got some rain during the night. Not as much as we'd like, but we are thankful for any. I saw on the weather news that Chicago and areas west got some rain yesterday afternoon.
Delete