Thursday, October 18, 2012

So Many Choices

This week in New York City, certain cabaret lovers and musicians gather.  At least, that's what Good Guy tells me is going on there, and it's where he is this week. I'm not a Big Apple fan, so I get to stay home and Do As I Please.

I really look forward to this perceived freedom, only to discover that, basically, I always do as I please and having the house to myself doesn't make much difference in my activities.

Other years, though, I have goofed off for the entire week, and not accomplished much.  So this time I made an ambitious list for myself.  Anytime I'm wondering what to do next I can work on something on the list.

I have a book to finish, I'm piecing a quilt top, I have a sock in progress, I have to quilt the Words quilt on the sewing machine.

Thrown in as interruptions are book club (yesterday), dinner with my daughter, bible study, and catching up with friends by letter writing, phone calls, or visits.

Yesterday we enjoyed discussing a book that was published first in 1943, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn.  Some of our best reads have been older books that are "re-reads" for many of us.  I don't recall ever reading this before, though one of us had read it in high school as required reading.  Oddly enough, there are many parallels between this book and another that I'm reading,  Behind the Beautiful Forevers, by Katherine Boo.

Prejudice, corruption, and using chemicals to escape from the realities are probably universal truths, as sad as it may be.

Have a great Thursday!  Or Friday!

3 comments:

  1. I'm a bit in the same boat with you on having a whole week alone.....finding that the time alone usually doesn't make me more ambitious or artistic. The hours are longer and after a week, I'm ready for my husband to be home and get back to normal.

    A Tree Grows in Brooklyn is one of my all time favorite books to re-read. I get it out every few years. Even my husband has read it more than once. I will have to see about the book you mentioned....always up for a good read.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, you sent GG to NYC so you could stay home alone.

    Hey, wait a minute - - - in Home Alone 2 the KID goes to NYC without the family. You've kinda done it in reverse, unless GG IS the kid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The mister went away for 3 days and I was planning like it was a summer vacation. Same as you, I wondered why afterwards as I pretty much do as I please, too. So I ended up missing him and since I had to go to work, I mainly relied on total control of the TV remote and the ability to watch the type of movies On Demand that I like.

    ReplyDelete

Backtalk is welcome here.