Tuesday, November 6, 2012

A Fine Idea

Once in a while I read something in the newspaper that really turns my crank, as they say.

This Sunday in the Detroit Free Press "Life" section there was a feature written my Kristen Jordan Shamus called Serving up Solidarity and showcased a really useful get together.

There's a national organization called Dining for Women, which was founded almost ten years ago in South Carolina which meets for potlucks and visiting on a regular basis.  The idea is to bring your contribution of food plus what you would spend on dinner "out" to contribute to organizations which empower women in Third World countries.

More info at www.diningforwomen.org.

I haven't checked the link yet, but the article was very engaging.  What a neat way to get your friends together, have a guilt-free visit, and do something meaningful for somebody else!  At each meeting there is some learning going on about the plight of women in the rest of the world, and the money raised goes to the national organization.  They decide where the money goes, and are on track to raise $800,000 this year.

Since in some countries a girl can go to school for a year for $25.00, this money could impact lots of women's lives.

The article says that women are welcome to come, even when they can't contribute much/any money, just for the opportunity to learn more about the cause---and that we do have much to be grateful for in this country.

I'm certainly grateful, and plan to be extra grateful all month.  I think Thanksgiving is a much more celebratory occasion than Halloween.  I'm scroogy that way!

Happy Election Day, everybody!  (I'm grateful that the ads will be over!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Backtalk is welcome here.