Friday, February 15, 2013

Fear, Fun, and Fragments

Good Guy and I set off for Titletown to celebrate Valentine's Day by having a tasty supper (this is the Midwest and we eat supper here), and then go to watch a women's basketball game.  The University of Wisconsin-Green Bay women of the Horizon League decimated yet another conference opponent.

But the weather between 5 pm, and 6:15 pm when we headed for the Kress Center, cooled quickly and froze all the mist and moisture on the streets and roadways.  We could hear our tires spinning as we tried to get through intersections after being stopped at red lights.  I was a nervous wreck!

But due to Good Guy's careful driving, and answered prayer we made it without incident and the roads were better when we left to return to our hotel.

We have had season tickets, so we've watched the girls win a number of times.  This team has been the conference champions year after year, and have had bids to the NCAA tournament as well.  They are very well coached.  In fact their present coach returned to Green Bay from five years coaching the University of Michigan's women's team.  He was happy to return to Green Bay where he didn't get quite so much outside advice about how to run the team, and where there is so much community support.  Other teams are startled to find full grandstands and loud crowds for a women's game.

In other fragments, I earned some remuneration for a knitting project this week.  Eldest Daughter has a good friend who admired her lined knit hat---two cozy layers of knit fabric, so I told her I'd knit her one.  When ED came to pick up the cap, she brought me my pay.  Two big bottles of wonderful wine!  This knitting gig might really work out!

I had resolved to knit from yarn on hand, but today in Titletown, there was a fine sale accompanied by a coupon and I ended up coming home with four balls of yarn and three hunks of green fleece.  "The best laid plans of mice and men......."

This week's reading is John Irving's A Prayer for Owen Meany.  It's a good read, but I'm wishing the print were a little larger. It isn't a deal breaker, though.

Today while we were eating lunch we saw a huge old poster on the wall which showed the sleeper train route from Chicago all the way to way north to the tip of the Keewenaw Peninsula.  Sigh.  It would be nice to have trains that run again.

I'm part of a group online which began as a Reading/Knitting group with organized swaps for those who sign up to do so.  When we got home today I had a big envelope stuffed under my mailbox on the porch.  It was from a friend who isn't a swap partner, and she just sent me a neat surprise out of the goodness of her heart.  I got a puzzle, a beautiful knitting magazine, a pad of heart-shaped notepaper, heart-shaped foil wrapped chocolate hearts, and a red cotton square with a heart motif---way too nice to use as a working dishcloth.  Way too nice!

So if you've read this far, good for you.  I'm linking up with my friend, Mrs. 4444 who hosts Friday Fragments where we can empty our ashtrays full of yarn ends and snips and drabs.  You can do it too.

Have a great weekend!

7 comments:

  1. So glad you made it to the game safe and sound. Ice is so scary. DH & I talk about traveling somewhere by train ... sounds like it would be fun. What a nice gift you received ... what a sweet surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right. There's nothing quite like a surprise in the mail! Even a Real Letter is a reason to rejoice!

    ReplyDelete

  3. THANK YOU!!!!

    You have just cleared up a great mystery for me! I knew I called it supper, but didn't know WHY until just now.

    Supper, supper, supper!!!

    Dinner is another name for lunch and is eaten around noon.

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wine is always the best payment. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. I see the cats like to lay on your sofa and knitting projects. They must feel warm and safe - or just tired.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I snapped that because they looked like they were doing "synchronized sleeping". They don't do much cooperatively, as a rule.

      Delete
  6. Sorry our weather was less than hospitable when you were here; I'm glad you had your trusty driver :)

    Hooray for wine! :)

    ReplyDelete

Backtalk is welcome here.