Sunday, March 3, 2013

March Entry

We now greet each other when we return from errands with this brilliant observation.  "It's Still Winter."  And it will still be winter here for another two months, easily.  This morning when we loaded our car to return home from a weekend away, it was +3 degrees.  There were some hardy souls out there on snowmobiles, too.

Last spring we got warm weather early, which coaxed out the lilacs and fruit blossoms and then got cold again and zapped them for the season.  Not good.

We were in northwestern Wisconsin for the weekend, and I was surprised to see signs along the road yesterday which warn of elk crossings.  If elk have been detected ahead there are lights on the signs that blink and warn us to slow down.  Elk???  Who knew?

We had a lovely, sunny weekend to enjoy traveling to and from our resort, and yesterday we hit some high spots in Hayward.  I browsed the craft shop, and the quilt shop.  Back in Cable we enjoyed a fine book store.

The Rookery had an amazing evening meal.  I wasn't hungry enough for an entree but enjoyed the French onion soup, and crab cakes from the appetizer menu.  Good Guy has a beautiful salad, and baby quail.  I don't believe I've ever seen that offered on a menu before.  It was very tasty--he shared a drumstick with me.

Keetha asked me if I've gone over to the dark side, meaning Facebook.  I do read what my friends are up to, but don't post much of anything there----rather like here.  When you have nothing to say, it's best to keep quiet.  I have groups I'm interested on the place for all thread benders to hang out together, though.  I can learn, share, talk about knitting and quilting without boring all of you to death.  I know you want to thank me.

There are groups of readers there as well.  I can find friends there (too) who love yarn, books, and cats. I am sometimes astonished at all the good, kind, sharing people there are----and then I wonder how the world can sound so screwed up.

Have a wonderful week.  I will try to accumulate something worth saying before April Fool's Day.

7 comments:

  1. I see you read STILL ALICE. We liked that book too, kind of scary though, huh? I do not participate in any groups on Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I linked to Goodreads through Facebook, and got invited to a Skype book club that links together on Facebook to make plans.

      The group of knitters/crocheters that I follow is through Ravelry which has thousands of participants. It is a great resource for advice, patterns, plus you can see and post pictures of how things really knit up and look when worn by real people of all shapes and sizes---if you know what I mean.

      Delete
  2. And where do you find your group of quilters to hang out with? I try not to bore any of my blog readers with too much quilty stuff, so I'd love to find a group where I can talk quilting without worrying about any rolling eyes and heavy sighs. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's still winter here, too. Although we'll have spring before another 2 months is up. ;-)

      Delete
  3. Ahhhh - - - my name in print.

    I must pick a little spring bone with you. Once March 21st gets here it WILL be spring - - - it may not look or feel like it, but it WILL be spring. ;-)

    Just gotta "hep" you keep these seasons straight.

    I do hope that we don't thaw for good and all this year until it's going to STAY thawed so the tulips and other early bloomers aren't spoiled. I'm totally with you on that one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seems that WINTER is holding on for dear life up there. Well, here, too. As I am typing this, I can't see across the street! The wind is whipping in a bunch of flakes that will have NO chance of sticking. And it started out so nice this morning......

    I swear, if I didn't do digital challenges, the old blog would have been put to sleep awhile ago.

    At least you got out of town for a bit. That always is nice.

    OH, I meant to tell you that the Finch's and Sparrows are here already! Talk about weird weather....they aren't supposed to be here until April. I scrambled to get out the remaining bird seed and plug in the birdbath. Of course now It's snowing so they are hiding! Figures!

    Good to hear from you, girlfiend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always admired people who can just sit back and listen :)

    No sign of elk over here, thank goodness.

    ReplyDelete

Backtalk is welcome here.