In the interest of full disclosure, I confess that I am not proud of this, but it is true, nevertheless.
My cousin let me know via e-mail that a member of her family on her mom's side has gone on to his reward and that they would be making the trip to be at the visitation this afternoon. I don't know his family very well, but (briefly) considered going the 40 miles to attend for my cousin's sake.
Alas, this grim assignment is losing out to tournament basketball, and my difficult knitting project, which requires my full attention and is (finally) proceeding.
The team we've been following will be playing tonight at 6:30 and after a season of following them I don't want to miss out on the game, even if it is nerve-wracking.
I have another reason for avoiding post-death celebrations as well. After being a hospice employee, I had my fill of funerals and visitations and vowed to avoid them in the future, if at all possible.
On a happier note, my walking partner and I went out today to start a season of walking together, I hope. It felt good to get some fresh air---and buy the Sunday paper.
Oops, back to basketball.
I have to say that I avoid visitations and funerals whenever possible (and I wasn't a hospice employee) ... I have to confess that I'm just uncomfortable. So there will be no judgment here. ;-)
ReplyDeleteThe team we've been following lost last night ... a bad call in the final minute or two sealed their fate ... it was anyone's game at that point. :-( Good luck to your team!
On to hockey ... and baseball soon.
Our girls lost at the last minute too, after clawing their way back into it. But they had a great run, and we love'm.
DeleteDid I tell you that I love your honesty? I do. I feel the same as you do about funerals and opted NOT to have one! So, no judgement from me, either.
ReplyDeleteA new walking partner! Great! Is it warm enough to be outside there? It was a bitter 0 degrees this morning here and is only now 33 (it's 4pm). But the week is shaping up to be in the 50's so not complaining here.
Jan
You shouldn't feel guilty. There are many, many people who do not like to attend visitations or funerals. At my grandmother's funeral I could not bring myself to go up to the casket. I wanted to remember her the way she was and I admit, I was scared.
ReplyDeleteGood luck to your team!
Hey Ann,
ReplyDeleteJust stopped by to say that my brackets this year are not good...Last year I had 92% right...MMMMM, not this year....
Hope you and Good Guy have a Blessed Easter up there in dah UP...Years and years ago hubby and kids and I went to Houghton to spend Easter with my grandma and aunt...Oh, my...it snowed and it was really hard to drive up their hill to their house...could hardly wait to drive back to Winneconne Wis. where we lived at the time to get on flat ground...HEEHEEHEE
Love from NC
And I do miss reading your blog now that it is only once in a while...
Yesterday during a slush storm, Good Guy had trouble getting up the hill to get onto the avenue nearest our house. Very scary---but I didn't have to find out about it until he got home.
DeleteI had kids here visiting for the afternoon, and they were fretting about having to go back out and drive again. (I don't blame them, because I was happy indoors.)