Over the Labor Day weekend, I vowed to organize my workroom. This task consisted of considerable sorting and pitching-------which is a recurring theme around here, but this was a major purge.
I won't bore you with all of it, but the most wrenching, but satisfying thing was getting rid of magazines. I found the patterns I wanted to save, and I got rid of the rest of the magazine. I can't believe how good it feels to be rid of them. I gave away art supplies, presents that creeped me out, paper products, even fabric I'll never use.
That felt so good, I believe I will do some more.
Tomorrow ReStore is coming to relieve us of old furniture and appliances. I am in no hurry to fill the house with new things either; I am grateful to them for taking it away.
In an abrupt change of subject, have you ever read the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society? I have rarely read anything with such winning characters. I have read it before and gave the book away, but just borrowed it from the digital library to reread it on my Nook.
It was nice to have an escape, while the government decides what is a proper response to the problems in Syria. I don't pretend to know and that's enough to say.
Time to get going on the further adventures of throwing junk away. Happy days are here again.
Good for you! I use each move as an opportunity to weed out what we no longer want or need ... my motto is if it hasn't been used since the last move and if it has no sentimental value, it's gone! We've moved about every 10 years, so things haven't gotten too cluttered or crowded here.
ReplyDeleteMoving helps to clear the decks, for sure. When we left the lower peninsula to move here we got rid of half our stuff. We should have done that before we tried to sell our house.
DeleteLive and learn!
Great news about getting rid of stuff....We can't take any of the STUFF with us when we leave the planet, so why not get rid of what we don't use or need while we live here...Right? I will start weeding thru fabric that I have been toting around for years....It will also make me let go of a ton of stuff that I have hung onto for far too long...
ReplyDeleteWhat an inspiration this post has given me....I will let you know how it goes....
And as for the book, I will look for it, as I have never heard of it and will see if my library had digital copy for loan later today
Thanks and Love from NC
I hope you enjoy the book! I don't know anyone who has read it who didn't just love it. I even learned some history! Wonder of wonders!
DeleteYES, I have read that book and LOVED it. I wanted it to go on and on, but alas the author died. SO, now that you have thought to re-read it, I shall so the same soon.
ReplyDeleteDownsizing and cleaning out. Seems as if your 'nesting' genes have kicked in! Nothing wrong with that.....it DOES feel good to clean out now and then. How we collect. Sigh.
Enjoy!
Tons of furniture has been donated and old electronics, but the thing that frees me up the most is getting rid of magazines! How can they be so important that we keep them for years?
DeleteI can't possible live long enough to make the quilts I love and have patterns for. Why would I need to acquire more or save more magazines with patterns? The eternal quest!
I still haven't quilted my Words quilt, by the way. In in interest of full disclosure. You're the only one who knows----and nobody cares except maybe Good Guy.
My lips are sealed. It'll happen when it's supposed to so don't fret!
DeleteI'm with you on the magazines. At one point I was pretty sure the studio floor was going to cave in with the shear weight of all those magazines that I kept (hoarded?) for why?????? Then I had a moment of realization (as you did) to get rid of them. Ok confession time: I donated about 3/4 of them to the recycle bin and the rest are still here. But at least the floor isn't groaning (or Dave) anymore.
At the moment, I am looking at the papers that have built up on the table behind me. Wonder what's in there that is so important? Oh well, another day.
Love from Scarlett
hello! Long time no see (sorry). Since my nest is empty (and the month before), I've been nesting like crazy; I've gutted most of the kitchen cupboards and two closets (so far). Not sure of the symbolism, but it does feel good.
ReplyDeleteAha! My kitchen cupboards are next on the list. I'd love to have clear counters, but since GG does the cooking, it doesn't seem like I can get that done. Do you have any advice? I am starting with extra mugs and glasses to free up some space.
DeleteRight now my kitchen is full of garden produce. I should be in there working, but (sigh) I'm not, and I don't feel a bit guilty, either.
hello! Long time no see (sorry). Since my nest is empty (and the month before), I've been nesting like crazy; I've gutted most of the kitchen cupboards and two closets (so far). Not sure of the symbolism, but it does feel good.
ReplyDelete