Monday, September 30, 2013

Whew! That was Close!

I am falling off my chair laughing.  I just got a message telling me that thanks to someone's service---which I'm probably eager to pay for-----I have 30 new followers.

Heaven forbid!  That's way too much pressure for me!

I will give you a little update, though, as long as I came over here to check on my 30 new followers.

Good Guy and I just had a little touring adventure around Lake Superior, returning yesterday.  We had the best weather, clear and still, so we had great driving conditions and clear views of the scenery.  It's a perfect combo for families that argue about vacation destinations----woods? beaches? mountains?  hunting?  it's all right there.

Of course, I didn't inquire about hunting seasons or how much a license to hunt might cost---but apparently wild game is plentiful.  Though we didn't see any moose or caribou, there were hundreds of signs warning of their presence----possibly on the highway----likely at dusk or after dark.

Most impressive to me was the rock.  Roads are cut through great crags of stone and forests appear to appear out of solid sheer mountainside.  Of course, the Sea of Superior is ever present.  It is amazing that we could drive around it for the whole week, and it is still the same water we enjoy at my brother-in-law's summer place in the Keewenaw Peninsula in Michigan.

I also was impressed at the amount of recognition given to First Nation presence and history along the northern coast of the Lake.  We walked through one park where the signs were in English, French, and the Ojibwa language.

Once we got back across the border and into Minnesota, we left the shore at Silver Bay and headed west toward Ely, where my family spent some time during my growing up years.  There we spent an afternoon and evening with an old friend of my Mom's.  It was a high spot of the week for me.

Getting home is always great too.  So now the laundry is caught up again, and I've answered my e-mail, and life is returning to normal.  (Except for those pesky new followers.)

Also, by the way, the most beautiful leaf color we saw was along the south shore of the lake, and I must confess Michigan had the prettiest hardwoods in oranges, bright reds, and golds.  Just gorgeous!  You've got to love Fall!

4 comments:

  1. I love fall! I cannot wait to see gorgeous leaf colors here. We bought 2 new trees for our back yard last fall, and I did a couple of days worth of research to ensure that we got trees with gorgeous fall color - it was more important than how fast they'll grow, how big they'll get, how much shade they'll provide. ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very wise! Our maple trees on this block aren't very colorful this year, for some reason. But since I can still walk, I can still view the others in the neighborhood. (chuckle).

      Delete
  2. That's a beautiful waterfall, Ann. I find it odd that it's 80 outside and the colors are so beautiful. I need to take a color tour, and I found a crane festival next weekend. Last year 5000 cranes landed at once! What a one-two punch that will be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where do 5000 cranes land at a time? Wow, that must be something to see!!!!

      Delete

Backtalk is welcome here.