I had my usual happy boring week, with several days spent sewing and gabbing with my sisters. But I had more sad news than usual when talking with others.
One of my nursing classmates is the superintendent of gatherings---and she makes sure we all make the effort to get together every summer. So when I talked to her, she assigned me some folks to call and make sure they were going to show up (and contribute to the meal). One is gearing up for a hip replacement and having significant pain, and one was out at her first physical therapy session after back surgery.
I finally made contact with her later in the day and she has been through a very hard and painful year. This woman was the most high energy, busy, productive person I have ever known, and it pains her to be inactive. I felt so sad for her.
Then, after I had been mulling this over for a day or two, I got a text message from my sister that her good friend's house was on fire. She's out in the country with no fire hydrants and her beautiful wooden house, full of quilts and valuable antiques was a total loss. Total. Loss. I was pretty upset.
But, just like the jaunty sayings that say, "It isn't what happens to you, it's how you react to it." I wasn't nearly so upset when I heard that she was happy that she and the dogs were all okay, she'd made arrangements for shelter, and she'd take it one day at a time.
My own personal victory for the week was a "lace-learning" project. Since it was nice and small, and fairly complicated, I could take it row by row and figure out what me error was, and go back to correct it. It's a minor accomplishment, but I'm proud anyway.
It is washcloth sized, not afghan sized, so don't be too impressed.
I'm reading, too. The Book Thief. I'm enjoying it.
And I'm piecing a quilt top that's a present. Not that the recipient ever comes here, but it isn't together enough to share yet. Maybe soon, though. Come back and see.
We are supposed to have a nice cool week and I'm painting outdoor woodwork. Once in a while. I don't have much stamina since my shoulder needs a rest every half hour.
Have a great week!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Backtalk is welcome here.