Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Write, right?

Filled and pending journaling books

This is some of what used to get done in the misty past----before the age of the computer.  When I was the mom with the pen in her pocket and the stack of notebooks at hand.

I do still journal and we often go back to check the dates of things we've done.  Or the names of movies, actors, hotels, rental cars, restaurants....you get the picture.

I also try to learn a new skill every year, and the year I began learning to draw, I started a sketch journal, tool  So some of those are up there.


sketchbook
At the right is the current sketchbook, which started life as a 70 sheet, Wal-Mart book which got covered with a pretty calendar page and is now half-filled with cartoons, drawings, collages, and simple prose notations.

This one was started on the Fourth of July last year and contains the news that Steve McNair, Ed McMahon, Farrah Faucett, and Michael Jackson all died on that day. 

Of more interest to me was that Roger Federer beat Andy Roddick in tennis and that Roddick can definitely hold his own with the best players.

Just so you know that I have my priorities straight. 

In that same vein, I must go on the record as not minding at all if Bret Favre retires.  I love the kid whether he plays football or not, even if he plays for the Hated Vikings.  If he'd rather not ache for six months of the year-----I hear you, buddy!

Well, this post got a little more fragmented than I intended.  But my life has been recorded in these and other notebooks.  Once in a while it's interesting.  Many entries in my youth were devoted to falling off my diet.  In fact it could be "The Story of My Life".  Pretty dull stuff, I fear.

Sketchbooks are a lot more fun.  The drawings don't have to be skillful, they just have to be your own.  They bring a flood of memories!  Funny how that works!

5 comments:

  1. Write, indeed!
    Buy more paper....
    leave detailed notes, I always chicken scratch, come back and have no idea what I was saying!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never been a journaler, not even pre-blogging days.

    My grandfather Butcher was, and I think he did it for most of his adult life because he left journal after journal giving us quite a record when he passed on.

    I love that you include things about pop culture in your journals! You know I perked RIGHT UP when you mentioned Brett Favre!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that you journal and now the sketching .. really cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never kept a journal (or diary) either, though as a kid I often used to spend my sixpence pocket money on a notebook with the excellent intention of writing something every day. I would proclaim this intention to all the family and warn them they'd better mind their P's and Q's, then I'd start next day in my very best handwriting 'writing something'. It would last about 3 days before the precious notebook degenerated into a valuable source of shopping list paper for mum, or a homework scribbler for the other 2 kids and,finally, for me too. I guess I was just not cut out for journalling!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have stacks of notebooks with stuff in them, but not journals. The ones that had Dear Diary entries have long since been burned. It seemed like my privacy kept being violated so when I was finished with working something out in writing, I'd burn it.

    I love the idea of learning a new skill each year. You are more and more fascinating. I'm so happy that you are blogging!

    Kristin - The Goat

    ReplyDelete

Backtalk is welcome here.