Thursday, March 17, 2011

The Wearin' of the Green


Green, green, green, everywhere there isn't water. Or sheep. We were in Ireland about two years ago at this time of year. (I went to a thrift shop to buy me a big long sweater because I was chilly all the time.) I'm a Midwesterner, so I am always fascinated by the tides, and the beaches. We have lots of water, but it usually stays put, except for seasonal flooding, coming soon to a river near you.

The thing that surprised me about Ireland was the mountainous terrain. I always pictured Ireland as green fields dotted with sheep. It's more like mountainsides dotted with sheep.
Plus sheep on the roads too. We laughed at the speed limit signs which "allowed" you to really zoom along, if you didn't heed the narrow roads, the curves, or the livestock. There were places on the mountain roads where a car might have to back up in order to allow a bus or truck to pass. Good times, folks!
The loveliest thing about Ireland are the Irish. Kind and friendly, helpful and curious. We went on a pub crawl/ Irish music event in Dublin and the musician told us that the Irish didn't ask us all about our trip because they were friendly. They were just nosy. This got a big laugh from all the tourists. We refuse to believe that.
So a Happy St. Patrick's Day to you all, Irish or not. I'm pretty sure, that it's a way bigger deal in Chicago than anywhere in Ireland. Really.

3 comments:

  1. Ireland was an incredible place - I went two or three years ago. I know what you mean :)

    Happy St. Patty's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My wife and daugther went there two years agon now too. They had a blast in Dublin and then to the west coast.They got to see Avoca where BallyK was shot.

    ReplyDelete

Backtalk is welcome here.