Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Our Neighborhood



First off, I need to explain that we had frost warnings last night. This is quite a dramatic change from the 50 degree weather we have had most nights. And I was quite startled to hear the furnace running when I got up.

We have changed our time for walking from 7 AM to 7:45 AM, hoping to avoid the school buses. This morning by that time, the pea soup fog had turned into this romantic hazy stuff that you can see above. We could walk in our sweat shirts, with the hoods down because there wasn't any wind to speak of. I wore my fingerless mittens that I made last spring and the temperature was just right for them.

The big maple tree in the picture in the left hand corner is in the yard directly across from our living room. There are only a few yellow leaves on it now, but I will keep you up to date on its progress through the season. It is a lovely big tree, and I watched it from my hospital bed the first year we were here and I was healing from my fall.

There isn't much color to photograph in the neighborhood yet, but I promise to do it. Our hazy damp morning turned into a glorious sunny day in the 60's, perfect for golf and for the first day of school here. School, the surest sign of the changing seasons.

I finished a lacy prayer shawl today too. I'll tell you about that tomorrow. Tonight I need to start another project to take along to the reunion tomorrow. (Busy hands are happy hands. I need something to do, so I don't talk too much.)

I will get to do the driving tomorrow. We don't have a long journey, but we do need to carpool. One classmate and her husband are here from Sacramento, CA, and another is meeting us from about 15 miles west. After we meet we need to drive north for about an hour, but there's no traffic to speak of, so it's an easy drive.

And, of course, it goes without saying (like everyone else who drives a car), I'm an excellent driver. Isn't that funny? That everyone thinks they are an excellent driver? I'm actually just an ordinary driver, and I hate to drive in heavy traffic. So I'm a timid driver too, I suppose.

See you soon.


2 comments:

  1. I'm an excellent driver, too! Hope you have a nice drive to your reunion. I'm so glad you got the frosty, hazy morning shot - good job!

    It's amazing how quickly the weather changes in Michigan - it's like some switch gets flipped and one season is over and the next one is here. Last year October was fairly mild until the last week. I have a feeling I'm going to be freezing when I arrive for my two weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The deer have come into our backyard as I am
    writing this post. Their coloring is a gorgeous honey and they look healthy.

    I consider myself a safe driver, but shutter whenever I drive and Da Yooper is my passenger. He is truly a great driver. However, I can be the exclusive driver during rainstorms in the dark. Da Yooper marvels at my expertise at that situation. Isn't that a hoot?!

    ReplyDelete

Backtalk is welcome here.