Tuesday, October 25, 2011

The Pain of Fandom

Can you remember early elementary band concerts? It's no place for a music lover to hang out, believe me. And early sports are a little bit like those band concerts, I think.

Tonight I went to a seventh grade post season girls' basketball game. As a parent, I've watched lots and lots of basketball, and I went along with my sister to watch a game.

It amazes me how much kids improve each year, particularly when they are highly motivated and they practice on their own. All these kids pass the ball a lot and want to play way faster than they have the skills for yet, but they will be tons better next year. And we must have a lot of faith in that happening, because we're both talking about getting softer seats to fasten on the bleachers.


4 comments:

  1. Those bleachers do get very uncomfortable! That's why I prefer to stand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My nine year old started violin 3 weeks ago at school. They are practicing for their Christmas concert. Oh boy. My ears hurt just thinking about it. But the intensity and excitement on his face with get me through.....! And my husband is a high school principal, so add all those sporting events we go to and my kids' events, my butt hurts too. Maybe we should knit butt bleacher cushions. Now there's an idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those bleecher seats ARE hard, aren't they? Or we're loosing our cushioning!

    Wish I had somebody to go to our local games here...hubby is NOT a fan, but I grew up watching basketball and love the action! Oh, well, I'll live through you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how many Junior High sporting events I sat through when I was teaching at LCS!!!!

    MANY!!!

    ReplyDelete

Backtalk is welcome here.