Thursday, February 9, 2012

Heart to Heart

Wasn't it a good idea to take up letter writing during Valentine month?

I just finished writing a letter to my oldest son. I should preface this by admitting that we are not a family that keeps in touch much. It isn't because we don't care about one another or are estranged in any way, but we're a bunch of introverts who are pretty self-sufficient.

My kids admit that they look at the calendar, say something like, "Hmmm, it's Joe's birthday!" and smile and go on their merry way without making a phone call or sending a card. And no one in the family is offended, that's just the way it is.

(It might make the spouses annoyed, but the siblings don't mind.)

But I so enjoyed the time I spent, pen in hand, to share some thoughts with my son----I may have to make a habit of it.

Lynn and I once spent an afternoon reading a basket of post cards which we found in our bed and breakfast. Two sisters who were maids in the same town kept in touch, before telephones, by dropping each other a few lines each day. It was a peek into someone's life-----someone long gone, and we enjoyed it very much.

Now I have to sort through my interests to decide what to Pin on Pinterest. My friends have fun checking that out. What do you think?

Have a great Thursday!

7 comments:

  1. I think pretty stationary is a great pin. I just discovered Pinterest, or I should say, my cousin discovered it for me and talked me into doing it. It's a bit addictive now. I'm sure your son will love getting a letter from you. I remember writing many, but my mother was the Queen of letter writing. Then back in the early 90s she discovered stickers to put on the envelopes. Oh, my... We always knew it was a letter from Grammy. Then, becasue she didn't trust the licked glue on the envelope, they were always taped shut. It was like getting mail from the secret service, but we all loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yeah! Stickers! I've gotten messages from grown-ups that were covered with them, too. I had a page of funny frogs who traveled all over creation--but I only had a page (darn it)....

      Delete
  2. Love your new photo of the birds eating at Casa Ann.

    Pinterest. I tried it. I don't get it. I'm old........

    Your son will love getting a letter from you. That is toooo special!

    Busy day here today. It's like I had a job or something!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't had time to do any 'pinning' yet. I tend to dump my interests here---or at my friends on the phone now and then.

      Delete
  3. Frankly, I don't need any more addictions so I'm staying away from Pinterest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I hear you! I'm giving up all computer card games for Lent and spending that time at the sewing machine. If I'm sitting down, I may as well be accomplishing something!

      Delete
  4. oh what a treasure to read those postcards, I have a couple letters/ post cards my grandma sent me when I was younger. As for Pinterest.....yep addicted!

    ReplyDelete

Backtalk is welcome here.