We have now learned to "do something" in June. We used to delay summer events until "later," thinking that summer would dally on endlessly.
But of course, it is over in a flash, so it behooves us all to jump right onto summer with a vengeance and ride it to the ground.
I mentioned in my earlier post that we had taken our trip to Ontario and gotten our theater fix. It was a wonderful trip in every way.
After that Good Guy went off to Iowa with Brotherbob to watch track and field events in blistering heat. (I passed on that junket.) But I had a fine time at home with my sewing machine and my garden.
Speaking of which, I have analyzed that the thing I love about gardening is grubbing around in soil. I'm good with planting, but lousy at harvesting. Therefore I spent lots of time grubbing and pulling weeds and had a jolly time.
I planted potatoes for the first time and have yet to see any results above ground. I'm curious, but philosophical. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. They seem to take an awful long time.
I'm afraid that baby birds are getting feeding lessons in my garden patch. Lots of seedlings seem to be disappearing. That's okay. I like birds more than vegetables anyway. I had lots of fun watching mama robin and baby robins hopping around and in the bird bath.
My hummingbirds were plentiful before our Canada trip, but had disappeared when we returned. Can anyone shed any light on that phenomenon? Nesting? I see one occasionally now; about once a day. (The nectar is fresh.)
I'm still spending online time with my reading/knitting/crocheting friends on Ravelry. Keetha asks if I've gone over to the Dark Side, meaning Facebook or Twitter. I don't spend much time on Facebook, though I do check it for pictures of my kids and grands. (Children and dogs.)
But my Ravelry groups compel me to do good deeds, and that's a good thing, right?
My reading recently has been devoted to some books that have been around for years and years, but have never been on my list. I enjoyed Anne of Green Gables (and the visit to PEI, a beautiful place I have visited before), and I also enjoyed Around the World in Eighty Days. Fanciful, but fun.
I may have more to say in July. Who knows? Happy summertime, friends!
Good guy came to Iowa and I was not alerted? Hope he had a nice time in between the storms that we (and most likely you) have had.
ReplyDeleteMy bad, Dave. I didn't alert my son either, since they breezed right past his exit on the way to the track meets.
DeleteThe heat was really brutal that week. Even here it was hotter than I like it, but nobody consults me about upcoming weather.
Tomorrow is July. And I am hoping it's not as HOT as June was around here.....or as windy and dry. Summed up, our fire season in Colorado was horrible. Enough of June for me.
ReplyDeleteWe haven't had many hummers this year for some reason. I hear one now and then, but not the usual brood. Let me know if you hear news on them.
Our birdbath is getting a workout during early morning and in the evening. Mostly drinkies in the early part of the day and a nice bath before bedtime. I'm loving them, too. So cute. We have little Goldfinch's this year that are teeny tiny and now the Bluebirds look like Giants!
Blogging (for me) is not working out well.....not enough time to post stuff. Just here and there. FB seems to be my social outlet lately. Fast and easy to keep in touch.
I'm re-reading The Thirteenth Tale right now and have a Daphne du Maurier in the que. Seems like summer is a good time to revisit our old friends.
Speaking of that.......good to see you have jumped into summer (and the dirt) my friend.
Have a lovely one. Keep in touch.
It is interesting to hear about your birding experiences. How is your garden surviving the heat?
DeleteI share stuff on Facebook, but don't do that much posting of what we are up to. I hate to advertise if my house is going to be untended. Of course that might be a creative way to get rid of some "stuff". It probably wouldn't be the stuff that needs to go....
Summer does fly by fast--best not to waste it away doing nothing. My best things in June was my vacation week helping with Focus Sports Camp at our church.
ReplyDeleteWhat a worthwhile way to spend your vacation week! I know you were a blessing and that you received a blessing.
DeleteTwo of my friends in my small group at church worked the week of VBS and they said it was a wonderful time. They could watch the Lord at work all week.
My garden is ok. Some things got scorched and I replaced the flowers in the front planters 4 times. Wind was the worst! This week is cooler and the plants seem to be regaining lost ground. The greenhouse (6 'maters and 3 bell peppers) are protected and toasty and loaded with blossoms.
ReplyDeleteI don't put too much private stuff on FB.....especially if I'm gone. Other than that, it's nice to catch up with friends. Like you.
Yeah, wind can really be tough on planters. I didn't put any flowers in at all this year, but the perennials are doing okay. I have a forest of volunteer raspberry bushes loaded with flowers and full of bees. Maybe there will actually be berries!!!
DeleteAround these parts, June is the best part of summer ... it usually hasn't gotten too hot to be able to get out and about and enjoy summertime activities. July and August are just plain HOT here.
ReplyDeleteI don't do well in hot. Better as I get older and thinner though.
Delete