Friday, July 5, 2013

Gratitude

I know, I know!  This isn't Thanksgiving, it one of those other holiday weekends.

Nevertheless, it has been such a pleasant one, I just have to gather you all around my little campfire of happiness here, and fill you in.

Yesterday we resolved to celebrate Independence Day somehow, so we packed our swimsuits, coolers, folding lawn chairs, knitting, books, etc.  and headed for the lake.

We planned our route for lunch at the Circle in Alpha, Michigan-----and with all that was going on in that tiny town we had a jolly time.  I read this morning that they also had a great firework show in the evening as well.  (We missed that part.)

Then we made a run down the Lake Emily road because I've never been down the whole road before, and then went to Fortune Lake, to Bewabic State Park where there was a crowd (for once) and we had a wonderful afternoon of people watching.  We read and I finished a knitting project before we headed for Dina Mia's for a mushroom, sausage, and onion pizza to cap off our tour.

So now you know how the elderly enjoy the holiday.   We didn't watch the fireworks live.  Instead we listened to them---all over the neighborhood and comforted our critters.  They weren't that upset, actually unless it was specially close or loud, but it wasn't as annoying as other years.  I'm probably deafer than I used to be.

I hope you are enjoying your holiday too.  We are having beautiful weather!  Temperature moderate and just breezy enough for comfort.  I am loving it!

8 comments:

  1. Another retired couple celebrated the 4th by attending the parade in mid-morning. Note to self: bring sunscreen, umbrella to keep us cool, and hubby's sunglasses. Water brought along was cold and greatly enjoyed.

    We grilled hamburgers on the deck, watered the flower pots, and praised our good fortune for having air conditioning available.

    Tiger baseball game enjoyed in early evening before getting ready to see the fireworks display shot off from atop Millie Hill. Who knew that cars would be lined up on the grassy area from Chapin Pit down to Timbers Motel? We discovered several areas in which to watch the fireworks. Afterwards, we watched the traffic on Stephenson Avenue. We saw some drivers "pound the drag" and sound the car horns. Alas, I am dating memories back to the sixties....

    Beautiful fireworks throughout the evening, no matter where we drove in the metropolitan area. Several people in boats on Lake Antoine provided a light show.

    Fur babies were more than happy to see us when we returned home. Big boy had eyes the size of saucers! Little boy was easily calmed. BB followed me like a shadow.

    Someone is still in the 4th of July mode as we hear the booms from outdoors. Tigers beat Cleveland tonight. Life is good!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed more live fireworks last night in the neighborhood. Pretty---but I was more thrilled about spotting fireflies! I haven't seen any for a long time.

      Our drama of the evening was having Sweetie dive-bombed by the blue jay momma when she went out on the deck. She came in quickly when the fireworks noise began. (She'd been hiding.)

      Delete
  2. Ann, this cracked me up. We have been going to my sister's house on the lake for the 4th for at least 20 years. This year we decided that the air horn of appreciation in our ears was too much and had another good excuse to leave before the festivities began. We came home instead and sat outside in our screened in porch until the local noise drove us and our cats inside, and then we watched the America's Got Talent show we had taped. We had a perfect holiday and glad you did too. Age adjustment is good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds great to me! I covet your screened in porch, though.

      Delete
  3. We must really be elderly here at Chez Nana ... we didn't even get out for Independence Day. ;-) We did hear plenty of fireworks, if that counts. I imagine that we could have seen some from our back deck (like we've done in previous years), but by then the Cardinals game was on, so we watched it instead. Exciting, no? ha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh, baseball!

    Good Guy says things like, "The Tigers are ahead 7 to 0 at the top of the ninth. Do you think they can pull it out?"

    What a sourpuss!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did better than us.........we went to the local parade and Art in the Park and then came home. I fell asleep on the loveseat and Dave said he was 'resting his eyes'. Right.......
    No fireworks here because of the dry temps, so we were able to have a quiet night.
    Apparently I'm ancient.

    ReplyDelete

Backtalk is welcome here.