Oh my, January is rolling along at top speed in spite of all the cold and snow.
My birth family, now consisting of my sisters and myself, enjoyed a day with some of the kids and grandchildren last Saturday, finally having Christmas together. So our Christmas season lasted longer than usual, which was fine with everyone.
The nephew who got married on Thanksgiving hosted our Christmas party. That is great hospitality for a new bride, I think. He maintained that she was so eager to meet everyone and have everyone meet her and her children. We all had a jolly time together with much good food and lots of laughter and visiting of course.
Their area of the U.P. has had over 150 inches of snow, and with the polar vortex, there hasn't been much melting. I was amazed by the height of the snowbanks on the back streets. In main travel areas the plows and graders have taken the banks down or away completely, but trees have great snow clots stuck in the branches, and the roofs are laden with snow. Watch out for that mischief maker, Mayhem! (I hope that actor isn't stuck forever with that identity from the State Farm ads.)
Now that I have written that, I hope they're State Farm ads.
In other news, we've decided that it will be a nice break to spend a week in warmer weather. I have friends who are in transit to spend months in Florida or Texas. I can't be gone that long because of the Cat Family Members, but I'm getting to wish that we could do that.
As much as I love our cats, I wish cats were more adaptable and could travel. Taking them someplace would mean putting up with days of yowling from the cat carriers. I couldn't stand that, and neither could Good Guy!
While at home, I'm fretting about the ice dam on the eaves on the north side of our house. I'm trying a new product called Roof Melt in hopes that it will remedy the problem. Somebody remind me to tell you if it works!
Good luck to the teams that will be playing today. Once my team is out of it, I don't have much loyalty to anyone. Good Guy likes the Patriots though. (Tom Brady was a quarterback at U of M.) That's all it takes.
Stay warm, my friends, if you're in the Northern Hemisphere. There's still lots of winter ahead.
I sure know how to cheer folks up, don't I?
Dear SCD
ReplyDeleteAm I number 50? and how's the OCD?
Love your blog!
Knitty
Thanks for putting me out of my misery. It should be CDO-----with the letters in proper order. LOL
DeleteYes, when I was 2, I was in a picture with my dad standing by his coupe and behind it is an 8 or 9 ft. snowbank...That was in Houghton eons ago....If I can find that picture, I will email it to you....I also remember the wooden bridge with stairs down to the road from the second story of most of the houses up there and beyond to Calumet area.....The snowfall back them was approx. 316 inches a yr....Oh my...Sometimes when we would go there to visit grandparents in June, there would still be snow deep in the woods below the pine tops.....Enough for the weather history lesson....Oh what I remember from those days....
ReplyDeleteAnd, the games yesterday.....My Packers, and My Panthers weren't there....But I hope that Russell Wilson and the Seahawks win the Super Bowl....Russell was a qtbk at NC State, then UW-Madtown an now the Seahawks...He is a great man of character, from what I know and I am
so going to be hoping that they win....I am sure Keetha agrees with that..LOL
Thanks for the great blog and for jarring memories of my childhood....Way less complicated time back then....
Love from NC