The main reason this Sunday, the most hyped football game Sunday of the year, is noteworthy to me is that it marks the last game of the season. I really do like football------American and Canadian football------as opposed to futbol as understood in the rest of the world.
In fact, I sort of missed out on the whole soccer mom scene, since the little kids soccer teams began in time for my grandchildren rather than my own children. But I digress.
I've really liked football for a long time. But now that I bear the aches and pains that result from a lifetime of using my body, falling, etc. I find myself cringing when people get hit and hurt. This coincides with the League's awareness of concussions and the resulting disabilities-----not to mention the lawsuits.
The last football game of the season. So now we are consigned to basketball games and golf until baseball begins in April. Sigh.
I do have a fallback plan for screen time though. I have a TV and DVDs and even videotapes upstairs. I laugh at my brother-in-law who has watched Sinbad so many times that he must know the dialogue by heart, yet I can watch the six hours of Pride and Prejudice again and again.
I don't need to though. We have bushels of English mystery series on DVDs that I haven't seen yet. I love Miss Marple, sharp old thing!
January's projects were chosen to be long, time-consuming things. I read a couple fast-moving things, and I highly recommend Life After Life by Kate Atkinson. I tried the audio book without success, but finished it quickly once I had the printed word in front of me.
The long project is The Pickwick Papers. I have that on my Nook, but I took a copy out of the library so I would have some idea if I was making progress or not. I'm enjoying it, but it's 800 pages of fairly small print.
The other long project is called Country Socks from Nancy Bush's Folk Socks book. It's on size two needles with DK weight yarn and it takes something like 11 rounds to make an inch of fabric. They are wool and they will be warm as toast and they are mine!
After months of knitting socks for loved ones all Fall, I am happy to have a pair for myself.
I hope you are eager to cheer for the hard-working athletes as the Olympics begin this week. If you're prone to pray, remember their safety. Mayhem is everywhere.
I'm looking forward to the Olympics ... and the rest of the NHL season ... and then it's BASEBALL season! Yay!
ReplyDeleteYeah, BASEBALL. It has taken me a lifetime to appreciate it, but the more I care about it, the more fun it is.
DeleteI usually don't watch football but because the Bronco's were playing, we thought it only fair to give it a shot. Apparently they forgot how to play the game, so there was a chunk of time I lost Sunday. I did enjoy a few of the commercials, tho. And the halftime was good....not a naked girl to be seen! Books: I just finished reading HEIDI. Yep, the one written ages ago when I was a child. I loved it then and loved it again as an adult. Now I'm looking forward to the library getting the sequels: Heidi Grows up & Heidi's Children. I will see if I can find the book you suggested as well. BRING ON THE OLYMPICS! This year we have cable, so hope to be able to see more than just what NBC covers. We love the winter games and have thought that as young adults, we should have paid more attention to being better at a sport! Too late now.......my bones are shrinking! Was this long enough?
ReplyDeleteMade me think we need a phone call pretty soon! I think they must be avoiding having female entertainers on the half time show, which is fine with me. I usually spend the time elsewhere during half time anyway. chuckle.
DeletePhone call......good.
DeleteI really do believe we are related in some way. You remind me so much of the women in my family. Sport lovers, readers, family people. :) I'll be enjoying the Olympics. Hoping all stay safe.
ReplyDeleteFrom what you write about your female relatives, I'd love to be like they are. Thanks, Leanne!
Delete