This morning I saw something I've never seen before. I had four hummingbirds at a time at my feeder. Usually they are fighting and chasing others away. Could it be that this year's babies are out of the nest already?
That seems unlikely to me, but I have much to learn about birds. I have found a wonderful site on Facebook recommended to me by one of my faithful followers. You need to be approved to join, but it is called Backyard Birdwatchers. People with amazing cameras and skills post their bird sightings and I am learning a lot of interesting things, and seeing pictures of birds that I never knew existed!
My friend, Lucy, told me yesterday that at their home on the lake shore near Crystal Falls, they have orioles, indigo buntings, and woodpeckers of every size imaginable. What a treat!
I will share with you a couple of my yard's delights. (That doesn't include my vegetable patch which isn't ready yet.)
These are my lilacs just teetering toward full bloom. My sister will visit tomorrow and we will have to stay indoors because lilacs give her a tearing head-ache. Rats!
And my other joy is these sweet little violets which are spreading all over the yard. Other people try to get rid of pesky plants that spread but we say, "Bring 'em on!"
At one point Good Guy was rooting for the invasive plants to crowd out the grass. Now we have another person take care of the lawn, so the invasive plants don't have to work quite so hard.
It is hard to appreciate what a delight it is to see all the places they have spread, since you can't be out in the yard with me, happening upon them here and there. But trust me. It is giving me great pleasure.
I hope you are enjoying spring at last. I know some of you are having summer already, but I can wait. I'll try to love it enough when it comes.
Have a great weekend!
I just LOVE, LOVE, LOVE lilacs. I have a small bush but am thinking of adding another to the yard somewhere.
ReplyDeleteNot nearly enough spring here! :-( It's 89 already -- 11:41 CDT -- and HUMID. Ugh
Enjoy your spring!
Ann, every time I walk outside, I find something new, a fawn, a new bird, weeds that need picking! I confess I picked many wild violets as they threatened to take over some other garden plants, but not before I admired their flowers. And the wild mustard proliferating around here can kiss my butt. I will WILL get rid of it!
ReplyDeleteOh yeah, that darn mustard! That's a pain. We don't have enough field here to have a problem in our yard, but it is obvious on every ride in the countryside.
DeleteHi Ann! I just jumped in here from Ravelry to read your blog. I am your new follower! Your quilts are beautiful!!
ReplyDelete:)
Why, thank you, Your Royal Highness. LOL
ReplyDeleteI will never live that down!! Actually, it's based on a Henry Kissinger remark from long ago. When he was named Sec. of State, someone asked if he preferred to be addressed as Professor, Dr., or Mr. Secretary. He replied that Your Royal Highness would do just fine. It's stuck with me all these years---so clever. (I'm not a Kissinger groupie or anything!!) hee-hee
Delete;)