Do kids in school still read the Weekly Reader? Technology has moved us in such unexpected directions, I am amazed.
When I was a kid, futurists (we just called them day-dreamers then) thought we would be zooming around with jet packs on our backs for transportation by the year 2000. That year in itself was laughable to me as a child. Who could think about attaining the age you would be THEN! Gracious!
But between computerization, and miniaturization we have a phone, a theater, a "stereo", and a camera plus lots more I don't keep up with----all in the palm of our hand. We used to covet Dick Tracy's two way wrist radio!
My dad died young in the mid-seventies, but I often think that he'd get a bang out of our technology. He'd turn his cell phone off just like I do, though.
There's a lot to be said for silence.
Apart from the laptop, which I couldn't do without, I don't have any other technology. Well, the mobile phone but I only wanted one for phoning and texting so the fact that this takes photos and all sorts doesn't count because I don't know how. Oh and my digital camera but that came free with the laptop. And the big flatscreen telly but it's all they sell these days.
ReplyDeleteActually, I suppose technology has nearly caught up with this technophobe!
LOL, that's pretty much my dilemma, too. I have prepaid phones "for emergencies" but the minutes pile up so I use them more and more. And I love my digital camera, even though I have most everything to learn about using it. We do still have a big old TV set,though. Oh,I got myself an MP3 player, too. (My daughter laughs at herself because she says the music she has on her MP3 player is the music played in park areas to scare undesirable squatters away.
ReplyDeleteYou too? I ALWAYS turn my cell phone off unless I want to use it!
ReplyDeleteOh my cell phone is always on - I rarely get a phone call unless of course I have forgotten to turn it off in a doctors office or something...then it rings. every.time.
ReplyDeleteWe have one flat screen in our house and one 10 year old TV. I do have a digital camera and several computers plus a laptop. My biggest indulgence though is that I have internet on my phone. Oh my, I love that feature. I don't have an mp3 or an ipod but I have a Kindle. I'm deeply into technology, but I think I'm not LOL