Saturday, June 19, 2010

Summer Solstice

My Viking ancestors made a huge holiday of the upcoming first day of summer. Hereabouts we enjoy the lengthening days from February until the 21st of June.
But I have to admit that I'm not cheering over the prospect of having the days grow shorter again.

Last night my son and I left Lake Superior in the twilight at 10 PM, Eastern time and it was still twilight. (A bit dangerous for spotting deer and moose on the roadsides,'tis true.) But we arrived home without mishap.

My point being that time goes so quickly that I treasure every daylight moment. Which is not to say that I am productive every daylight moment, trust me. But we have many gloomy dark months and I love these sunny long days.

I seem to have "lost" my picture adding capability. It was dead easy a couple days ago, and I've grown dumber with the passage of time. Humbling stuff, blogging!

Have a wonderful weekend!

4 comments:

  1. I can't help it: I'm GLAD someone else also loses capacity!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never once even THOUGHT about the days getting shorter now in June - - - we still have a whole summer of LIGHT left, so that's how I look at it.

    If I can talk you through the picture thing, let me know - - - probably in an e-mail would be best. I have a couple of ideas of what it might be - - -

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome! I have been interested in the UP since I saw. a play about it. I can't recall the name of it at this moment (senior moment). But I do remember that Jeff Daniels wrote it and he is a fave of mine.
    My sister and I are planning to take a trip up there one day...

    ReplyDelete
  4. The play is Escanaba in da Moonlight, for Lynn if she reads the comments three days later LOL

    I miss the long days of summer - Florida doesn't get as much of the late evening light like Michigan does - I bet the UP has quite a bit more than in the Lansing area. That was one of the best parts of Summer in Michigan was the sky staying lit until 10pm.

    Kristin - The Goat

    ReplyDelete

Backtalk is welcome here.