Friday, July 16, 2010

Friday---but no Fragments

I can't quite figure out how to capture the link from Mrs.4444 for her Friday Fragments blog group.  Maybe one of you will help me out---(she begged pitifully).

In an e-mail conversation last night the subject of having one's own tools came up, because I told her I needed to make a trip to the hardware store to get a new Phillips screwdriver.  Ours all seemed to be stripped.  (She wisely has her own tools.) 

It reminded me of a conversation here referring to an ad on TV touting "hard to find tools".  Why would we need more?  All our present tools are already hard to find.

Anyway, my spinning wheel got fixed without having to travel away from home.  So then I tried to ply the yarn that was already spun.  It was just plain awful.  It was so overspun I ended up with the biggest tangle of yarn I've ever seen.  Which is saying a lot.  I can't decide if I discard it all, or try to cut and untangle.

Our town is celebrating a classy cultural event tonight and tomorrow called "Hog Wild" just a few blocks away from our house.  So we can hear the bass beat from the bands.  The feature event is a pork barbecue cook-off contest.  Unfortunately nobody gets to eat that, so we have to trust the judges.  I have found barbecue tastes to be varied in the extreme, depending upon where you live, so maybe we're lucky we don't get to taste it.  There are a number of bands and a vintage car show, plus various other mischief.  There'll be music  until midnight. 

If I ever get my spinning problems resolved, it's also time to pick a new knitting project.  Suitable for summer---so it'll be small.  Socks for Christmas presents, perhaps.

I can do big complicated things, but not during the summer.  I have a project on needles now that have been there for about a year.  I call it the endless lace scarf.  One skein of laceweight yarn will make a narrow lace scarf that will wrap around a bungalow.  It's amazing.  I wouldn't mind lace knitting if it didn't require so much concentration.  No visiting while I work on that puppy!  Which helps to explain why it's been in progress for so long.

Well, these would be my fragments, Mrs. 4444.  Better luck next week, annie!

5 comments:

  1. Hi; it is nice to meet you and I truly sympathize with the linking thing..if you use blogger you just have to add a new gadget(java htm) and then copy and paste the link..sounds easy I know it took me 4 weeks and a lot of determination to get it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I do is copy the link code that's in the little box underneath the Friday Fragments icon on the side of her blog, then go to the Edit HTML tag right above the new post box and paste the code. I then click on the Compose tab and the photo of the Friday Fragment icon should appear. I then highlight that and center it.

    If you want to add the blogfrog code to make all of the peoples faces and icons appear you get the code where it says "What is a blog hop, get the code here" and paste it at the end of your blog post by doing the same thing - going to the Edit HTML tab and pasting it in.

    I may have my own tools, but I have to do a search and destroy mission to find them.

    I'm so happy that you got your spinning wheel fixed, but I have to admit that I have no idea what it truly means to have something overspun, but from your description it doesn't sound like fun.

    Happy Friday Fragments!
    Kristin - The Goat


    OK, I actually just re-read your question I'm not sure if you mean you want to link specifically to that one post or get the picture (with link to show up, like I already explained.) To get the link to that post you can right click (for a PC) or Control click (MAC) on the title to the post you want to link to. Click on copy link location (or the equivalent terminology on a PC) then come over to your blog in the edit mode and click on LINK. You can either type in the text that you want the link to say in the very top box that says text to display -- like Mrs. 4444 --- and then paste that link location in the Web Address section or you can add the link into a prewritten text by just highlighting the text you want linked and ignore that top box and then click OK.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can only ignore all references to links and stuff because it's all so complicated to me that I would sooner manage without!

    The Hubster has his own tools, will never borrow anything. I wish he would, it's cheaper. The queer thing is that everybody KNOWS he doesn't borrow (family, neighbours etc) and yet who is it gets the blame when someone can't find their electric hedge cutters? Yup! Now wouldn't you have an indelible memory in your head of who borrowed a thing like that?

    Now I'm going to ask a pathetic question - and you must bear in mind that an English person wouldn't know these things - what is the UP?

    Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Angie--I can't get to your e-mail to answer your sensible question, so I hope you check back here.

    UP stands for the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, and I'll do a post for you with a map. Michigan is large, but spread out all over the place. One section is bordered on the west by Lake Michigan, and the smaller section is bordered on the north by Lake Superior which is an inland sea, for all practical purposes.
    From where we live, to travel to our state capital we'd drive east for four hours,cross the Mackinac Bridge, and then drive south for another four hours or so. It's a pain in the butt, and we'd be better off being a part of Wisconsin, the state directly south of us.
    (Some think.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These comments made me chuckle. People are so sweet in blogland, aren't they? If you have your email here, I'll send you my phone number, and you can call me for help next week BUT it looks like you figured it out! BRAVO!

    That sweater is gorgeous! I once learned to knit and spent a year reaching what I considered the pinnacle of knitting (a gorgeous, complicated sweater for my daughter). After that, I moved on to other things, but I did enjoy my scarf/dishcloth/afghan/sweater knitting binge. I have many beautiful sweaters knit by Great Gma 4444, who lived in Calumet and spent many a cold Michigan winter's night knitting into the wee hours. :)

    ReplyDelete

Backtalk is welcome here.