I have seen this pithy saying attributed to the Pennsylvania Dutch, and they really hit the nail on the head with that one!
I have been reading knitting blogs of knitters I greatly admire. They attempt projects I can only dream about, and even design their own patterns. Yet occasionally they, like we less talented knitters, pull a big boo-boo, and are honest enough to tell us about it.
There are a hundred ways to mess up when you knit. I'm just learning that. You can neglect knitting a trial piece to check gauge, you can accidentally switch needle sizes, you can choose a yarn unsuited to the project even though it was beautiful and costly. You can make the same error in increasing or decreasing over and over again, which results in increased wine consumption. (That has proven not to help much, except very temporarily.)
But as far as I know, my knitting project is OK, for now, at least.
However, as many times as I've baked bread, I screwed up this morning and didn't add enough flour before I dumped it out on the kneading board. I've found that I can follow the recipe for bread machine coffee bread---a basic sweet roll dough, and let the machine mix it and allow it to raise the first time. Then I can use the resulting dough for rolls or whatever.
But I hate to waste the egg white, so I use the whole egg instead of just the yolk. (I know so much better than the bread machine people.) That's OK, when I remember to add a little extra flour, or a little less milk. When being the operative word here. If I forget that step, I have a messy dough to work with and need to add more flour and knead the whole mess again.
This sort of defeats the whole purpose of using the bread machine to make the process "easy", wouldn't you say? It does, but no matter what the trouble, I have the smell of freshly baked bread in my house. And if I had some more interesting mistake to tell you about, nobody would be any wiser.
So that's the beginning of my weekend. Hope you have a great weekend, too.
I tried to learn to knit once with no success and I so greatly admire knitted treasures. I have several friends with bread machines who share loaves of delicious bread with me but I've never made any and don't have a machine. Sounds like to me you are doing pretty well this weekend. I know your home smells wonderful! Enjoy the day!
ReplyDeleteThis is funny, because I just finished writing a post about a cooking disaster from long ago. At least you knew what to do. I'm usually afraid to waver from the strict recipe.
ReplyDeleteEnjoy the gorgeous weekend! (Any snow up there yet?)
oh the smell of fresh bread! hmmmmmmm I don't have a bread maker..I did and I burnt it out. I guess it is ok because I do prefer the old fashioned way over all.
ReplyDeleteShare you favorite recipe sometime( any recipe actually)...send it to me with a picture and I will put you on the ND kitchen blog!
Fresh bread, like cookies can really warm up a house in the Fall and Winter. I hope you are enjoying the great temps for mid-October. Take some photos.
ReplyDeleteI just wanted to thank you for stopping by my blog the other day and... You KNIT!
ReplyDeleteI do too... sort of... well, almost-ish... alright- a little. I taught/am teaching myself to knit and am trying to follow a graph pattern.
I posted some pics and wrote about it ... in June! I'm almost almost done though... maybe.
I am a much better crocheter and make my own patterns as I go.
I look forward to reading more!