Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Story Tellers Entry

Shannon at asouthernbellewithnorthernroots.blogspot.com hosts this Wednesday get-together, where we can share some great stories. 

Meet the young me with my baby sister, Jane (her real name).  She was born after the proper amount of time elapsed after my father's return after his service in WW2.  Up to that time, I had been the queen of the hop, living with Mom and my Grandma Anderson without any fathers, uncles, or men eligible to be off fighting wars. 

A little before this picture was taken, probably the winter before, my parents evoked some Tough Love in my direction.  It seems that when they would place
that sweet baby in my arms in the rocking chair, she would gently roll down the length of my legs and land with a thump on the floor. 

To discourage any further episodes, my parents packed a suitcase for me and sent me off to my grandmother's house.  They put some very heavy stuff into the suitcase, so I couldn't get very far.  And we lived in an extremely tiny town so I wasn't in any danger.

I struggled with the suitcase, across the street and was cutting through the schoolyard when two girls asked me where I was headed.  When I explained that I was going to take the bus to Iron River, and explained that I kept dropping my sister on the floor, they convinced me that my folks would probably take me back if I stopped dropping the baby.

Hmm.  I could do that.  I'd just stay away from the little monster.  So I headed back and stood at the bottom of the long steep stairwell.  (Little voice)  "Can I come back if I don't touch the baby?"

My dad was standing, six feet tall, at the top of the steps, voice booming,  "Are you going to drop her any more?"

(Little voice, squeaks) "No, I won't drop her any more". 

He heads down the steps to carry the suitcase upstairs for me, pats me on the head, and says, "See that you don't." 

They admitted to me later how they had stood in the front window, watching me the whole time, struggling with the suitcase, talking with the older girls, and heading back home.  I don't think the whole episode took even half an hour, but it still sticks in my mind a great many years later.  Lesson learned.  I never drop her now.





8 comments:

  1. What a great story Ann. I can just see your Mom standing at that window nervously twisting her hands watching you. I love the photo of you and your sister.

    ReplyDelete
  2. how funny! what a great story. This is just priceless, a great laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny but look how you still remember it. I bet that your parents did not concern themselves about damaging your psyche! Looks like it worked just as they expected. Nice tale!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great story. I had to read this story to my Mom :) She has a younger sister named Jane, too! I have never rolled my sisters to the floor, but I do remember sliding one of them down my back and didn't catch them LOL

    Kristin - The Goat

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness that is too funny! Now that is one way to get the children to mind...I wonder if that would work now a days?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ann, I love this. Sounds like your parents were smart cookies! I'm going to link this up on Saturday :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good story, glad you learned your lesson so quickly. You parents were pretty wise!

    Found you through Saturday Sampling.

    ReplyDelete
  8. mrs 4444 sent me - nice story
    My older sister has a story about leaving while our grandma was watching us. Funny how this type of story happened to many people in different places around the country. Maybe it was a generational type of thing?

    ReplyDelete

Backtalk is welcome here.