Tuesday, October 5, 2010

WHAT are they Thinking

Bear with me, football haters, please. I just must get this off my chest.

I can understand how the pre-game crew at ESPN has a funny segment featuring bad calls and bad plays which they ridicule.  It may be painful for some officials or players to see their snafus on TV once again but I think they understand that may come with the career they have chosen.
 
But a feature that invites fans to be more outrageous than ever?  I have to question the wisdom of that idea, even as entertainment.  Painted faces, costumes, vulgar signs?  Please don't encourage these people. 

I'm doubtful that anyone in power at ESPN reads my blog.  Perhaps I'm directing my concern at the wrong audience. Thanks, folks, I feel better.  (As we say here, that's why there's a "power" button on the remote.)

3 comments:

  1. I would paint MY face - - - does that make me outrageous? I do NOT make vulgar signs, however. I may LOOK outrageous, but I am polite as polite can be. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, it's usually the other way round: what America does today.. England does tomorrow. In the case of football etiquette (or lack of it) we beat you to it!

    I see nothing intrinsically wrong with face painting and if people feel they really have the figure for wearing their team's playing kit well so be it. But I'm afraid our so-called fans seem to have a (probably unwanted and uninvited) nucleus of thugs and troublemakers. I find that plain old sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They're always looking to exploit people with questionable judgment....

    ReplyDelete

Backtalk is welcome here.