Tuesday, December 28, 2010

What IS Normal, Anyway?

Though our Christmas has been a quiet one, with only one festive (rowdy) day of family get together, I find myself enjoying the one day of no obligations following that day.

I guess we are officially into "taking stock at the end of the year" mode.  Good Guy has kept track of his reading this year, and has cracked the 100 book mark.  I wanted to beat last year's number, but I'll have to read until midnight on the 31st to make it, I think.

So, after my day of leisure, I find myself with a LIST this morning.  Redo the mitten end you screwed up, send one more package,  order medicine, work on the binding of the quilt.  My sister brought me a quilt to bind, since I rather enjoy mindless, repetitive tasks-------which prompted the comment once that I'd make a good mental patient. ( Never mind, that's another story.  I don't want you to think I'd insult anyone.)
But this quilt is enormous.  It was to be a marriage gift, and the making of it has outlasted the marriage.  Honestly.

 I did one side yesterday, so I'll have something to do during the remaining Bowl Games. Except the Rose Bowl.  I have to knit during that one.  For good luck. 

Taking stock-----I am at Day 495 in my 1000 day project. (101 things to do in 1000 days.)  I am floundering and need to focus, and there's nothing like the New Year, to help you get back on track.  One of the directions for this project advises, "Get used to failing."   This is always good advice, for  I learn more from my failures than from my successes.

So soon we will return to "normal".  Alas, even when I'd prefer to change, I'll return to my default position.  That has been the experience of the past, anyway.  

But where there's life, there's hope.  Happy New year to you, and may one of your resolutions take hold.

5 comments:

  1. I have OFTEN pondered on your question, "What is normal?"

    Whatever it is, I'm pretty sure I "ain't" it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never kept track over a year's time of the books I read - - - maybe that's something I should do this year? Interesting idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you had a nice Christmas and to many one day with family is enough - I can't speak for myself because all my family is in Germany and my only daughter in California, so you might say I'm good at being alone - I don't prefer it, but I prefer being alone opposed to being with someone who irritates and upsets me :-)
    To me the week between Christmas day and New Years Eve is a "free week" of where nothing has to be done (except for sudden rushes to ER which I don't want to think about) and when I get to linger in the aftermath of Chrismas. My tree stays up till Jan. 6 (the Epiphany) and sometimes longer...because I simply love looking at it.
    I won't set any difficult New Year's Resolutions other than to do better in everything I do and that includes diet and exercise - more time with my dog and more time crocheting - but that means less blogging, but there is more to life than sitting in front of a computer screen and type, no matter how much I love my blogging community and my computer ;-)

    Happy New Year to you and yours!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the tone of this post; it's good to relax and reflect on the old and new year :) Have a good one!

    The reading subject brought me back to memories of Gram 4444, who lived in Calumet and spent many, many hours reading (as well as knitting). She had a long, long, long list of all the books she'd read. When the snow got up past the front windows, there wasn't much else for her to do!haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like lists. I like making them, preparing them, looking at them and even doing them! I read so few books, even on my lovely Kindle, that I should resolve to read more this coming year. I love to read, I just don't.

    The wedding quilt outlasted the marriage - well that's too bad. Where is the quilt going after you finish with it? If a quilt has been made with something/someone specific in mind, can it just go to someone else?

    I hope your knitting encourages the win you want :)

    Kristin - The Goat

    ReplyDelete

Backtalk is welcome here.