It is a good book, and it is well written, and thought provoking----and it even won a Pulitzer Prize. However in our experience, we tended to nap during the middle of our reading sessions. Unanimously.
Shhhhh, our book was Gideon by Marilynne Robinson. It is a fictional memoir written by an elderly father to his son, who is a child. It is not a page turner.
Our next book will be "Cutting For Stone", which was highly recommended to me by a reader I respect very much. (Stay tuned.) Another feature of our afternoon was a nice book grab when our hostess found an armload of books for us to read for fun and then swap around.
My library books this month and last have all been knitting and craft books. I enjoy them but there isn't much plot. I will fall far short of my goal of reading 100 books this year. I can't claim to have "read" a book a sock patterns, for goodness sake.
For once, Good Guy is way ahead of me in reading at 74 books already this year. (But, on the other hand he hasn't knit anything at all!)
So, my dears, if you have any good recommendations for our reading group, don't hesitate to suggest them. The worst I can do is ignore you, and the best I can do is love the book and hope everyone reads it!
I just read a strange and unusual book that was recommended by a friend. I must admit that if I had seen it myself, I'd have probably passed it by. BUT, I would have been wrong and missed out on a really good page turner. It is called MISS PEREGRINE'S HOME FOR PECULIAR CHILDREN.
ReplyDeleteDon't let the cover scare you away.
I have Jan's recommendation on my TBR.
ReplyDeleteThe reason I don't generally like book clubs is exactly what you just went through, plowing through a book you didn't like because you felt obligated to do so. I did that enough in school.
I must admit though, I did participate in three book clubs (two online, one in person) that I liked: "Redeeming Love" by Francine Rivers, "The Secret Life of CeeCee" by Diane Chamberlain and "Thin Rich Pretty" by Beth Harbison.
Visit Grab A Book From Our Stack at www.ourstack.blogspot.com to find some more good books. We read a variety of genres--our tags are at the bottom of the posts.
74 books and not a sock to be seen, huh? That really gave me the giggles. I have read Water for Elephants and loved that -- and honestly, I'm not sure if I have actually read another book this year. I've listened to a dozen or more as audio books though. Oh, I've browsed through a dozen or more photography books, cookbooks and other assorted informational books, but none of those would be a whole lot of fun for a group :)
ReplyDeleteI don't know what the tone/theme of your group is, so this may not be a good fit, but I enjoyed "The Cloister Walk" by Kathleen Norris. It's a memoir of the year that she spent living in a midwestern monastery. I know...sounds riveting, right? But it's full of humor and wisdom and fascinating insights into a group of normal Americans who choose to live in a wildly counter-culture way. I loved it.
ReplyDeleteOutlander was just highly recommended to me. An older book. It's a long one.......
ReplyDelete