For we have just returned from Chicago's northern suburbs where we attended a wonderful concert at Ravinia , featuring Mandy Patinkin and Nathan Gunn.
Ravinia, for those of you who aren't in the know, is a beautiful acreage in Highland Park, which has an open air venue surrounded by picnic grounds, and people can watch concerts from the roofed area, or can picnic with their friends on the grounds and still hear the music.
You may know Mandy Patinkin from his long and distinguished career as a baritone on Broadway, or as one of the grim profilers on Criminal Minds on television. In person he is energetic, funny, and talks and sings Yiddish. His son was in the show, too.
I didn't know Nathan Gunn at all, but keep an ear out for him. He's got a voice well suited for opera, but lucky for him, his wife is his pianist. Because he is drop dead handsome and could have been mobbed by females----in a less sophisticated environment. He is really something special. Google him and see for yourself.
The Chicago weather was unseasonably HOT, but not too bad for the audience by evening. But the performers were really hot under the lights. Mandy put a bandana headband on to catch the sweat, but Nathan just kept on sweating in his suit. (I guess opera singers are used to sweating in those big fancy costumes.)
In addition to the concert, the other noteworthy event was the purchase of a new laptop. I have done everything I do online on this little Netbook for more than a year. The sound on my Skype doesn't work, and I want to be able to talk to my grands and have the sound work.
We did get lost a few times, but that is Good Guy's worry. We are safely home in good time and the Fuzzies are happy to see us. And we are happy to be home. 'Nuff said.
I will post this and add the totals for the charity of July and August to the top header. Thanks for commenting. We did great!
Happy Labor Day weekend!!!
Welcome home. OH, laptop with SYKPE????
ReplyDeleteGlad you enjoyed the show in the windy city but I missed you, so stay home for awhile now!!!! ha
Hugs
I'm sure your fuzzies missed you. Congrats on your new laptop! Hope you can get the Skype to work, good luck with that.
ReplyDeleteNice donation to Operation Homefront! Are you doing another charity for September?
LV at Meme's Corner sent me your way. I love Mandy Patinkin, I first heard him sing in the movie Yentl and have been a fan ever since. have a happy day. xo
ReplyDeleteJust a little jaunt to Chicago! Sounds like a fun time :) Mandy Patinkin - Oh I loved him as Enigno Montoya in "Princess Bride" and also as Rube in the Showtime original "Dead Like Me." That would have been a great show to see. I'm so glad you did!
ReplyDeleteMy husband was hanging out in the UP last week. Did you feel the force? lol He's back in Troll land now.
Ditto to Kristin; Patinkin in The Princess Bride was such an iconic role that he still gets asked by fans to do the "...Prepare to die" line. And he's gracious and good-humored enough to oblige!
ReplyDelete