Well, at some point the whole thing gets so crammed with stuff that you can't fit one more "dead papers" file in there, and somebody has to cull. (I'm not complaining that it will have to be me, but Good Guy would just go buy another file cabinet.)
So I situated myself in there with a mug of coffee and the shredder, and a timer and I shredded old check registers, and a couple hours worth of useless papers. I probably could devote another morning to going through the rest of the stuff. I got a little sidetracked in looking at old pictures I found, and reading letters from people no longer among us.
Gone, the warranties and directions to appliances long gone. Gone, duplicates of pamphlets of wise advise about retirement. Gone, old dental bills and insurance info from years ago.
Now I will feel that the job is completed when I drop off the bags of paper and shredded stuff at the paper recycling center. Indulge me with a pat on the back. Please.
(About the header------I fiddled around endlessly making a new collage, which turned out to be a tiny thing instead of a full across the top header. Back to the drawing board, or Photobucket, as the case may be.) I must be a very slow learner......
Dear Shred-Queen,
ReplyDeleteI bow before thee. Twas a splendid day for shredding, me thinks. Hoping the machine is not on fire!
Love the doggies on the header now matter how big the banner is. They are TOOOO cute.
Fond wishes from your chum.
I have a wastebasket for things that must be shredded. Our shredding machine does a great job but I have been going through "stuff" in the archeological dig. Right now, yours truly has to be careful that she doesn't break her arm patting herself on the back. It's great that you have tackled your file cabinet and lightened the load. Isn't it a good feeling to have gotten so far along on that project? I'm over here shouting praises for you!!!
ReplyDeleteAhhh yes, in our house those papers are lovingly referred to as "The Pile". Glad to know we aren't the only ones...
ReplyDeleteI like that you got sidetracked by letters and photos. That happens to me, too. It makes the dull and boring jobs a lot more enjoyable, don't ya think? GOOD Job, Ann!
ReplyDeleteI have to do that job at some point too but I think it would take me longer than just the morning--I have four drawers to clean out.
ReplyDeleteLooks like you got your header to work. I had that problem too sometimes.
Thanks for getting me started on our "filing system." I've been throwing things out since you were here on the weekend--only about a decade of cleaning days needed.
ReplyDeleteI just finished The Help, and it's as difficult to dispose of closed minds and prejudices as it is physical clutter, isn't it? Election time's approaching (only 13 months to go).
Time to get rid of some of my stuff. It's easier to get rid of Meat Man's.