Thursday, January 12, 2012

Please Pass the Bread

I used to bake bread pretty frequently when the kids were growing up. It was thrifty and I could use whole wheat flour, plus kneading and pounding on dough was a socially acceptable way of releasing hostility.

It also reminded me of my beloved grandmother. When I went to her for "bread lessons" though, she wasn't much help. She never measured anything---and did beating and kneading until it "felt right". That doesn't help a novice who has no idea what it should feel like.

Nowadays, Good Guy and I use our bread machine fairly frequently. I follow recipes with an alteration or two. Good Guy bakes a basic bread and throws in craisins, sunflower seeds, nuts, ---and whatever comes to mind as he browses the cupboards.

He outdid himself this week with a whole wheat concoction with those three additives. It makes delicious toast, too. My only problem with home made bread is slicing straight. Oh, that and wanting to eat more than I need. (And as my granddaughter says, "Butter, butter, butter!")

7 comments:

  1. I just cut up two loaves of whole clove garlic bread for out Souper Supper potluck dinner tonight. I also have two kinds of butter. You can never have too much butter or garlic...or bread for that matter! (although eating too much butter and bread isn't figure friendly. I hope to bring exactly zero pieces home :)

    I've always wanted a bread machine, but knew I could never stay out of the freshly made bread. You are a strong woman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sister and I (and hubbys) are taking a trip to the UP later in the year! What are some places we should not miss?
      We have wanted to visit since we saw Jeff Daniel's play, Escanaba (sp?)in the Moonlight.

      Delete
    2. Oh, Lynn, there's some great stuff to see here, and I hope you won't mind seeing lots of woods between the sights. I'd head to the south shore of Lake Superior and see Tahquamenon Falls and Pictured Rocks. See if you can find the book, Hunt's Guide to the Upper Peninsula. That will steer you toward things you're interested in. There is wonderful architecture, bridges, critters, scenery, lots of water. There's an online guide from Hunts, too. Google away!

      Delete
  2. Oh, my goodness...since I am a Yooper by birth, I would suggest Copper Harbor drive to Brockway Mtn. Drive...Lake Superior is vast and beautiful....Mackinac Island is a wonderful place to visit and the Quincy Mines on the ridge above Houghton-Hancock and don't forget the pasties.....Oh, yes, Crystal Falls is a quaint place to visit as well...
    Now back to the bread.....I am a dump cook when it comes to bread like my grandma was....and kneading it to feel is a wonderful reliever of stress....YUMMY results with butter on that warm surface with homemade strawberry freezer jam....
    I am done now...
    Love from NC

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made my favorite bread the other day...truth is I make it for toast, there is nothing like homemade bread for toast oh YUM!! I shall go have a piece in honor of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My cat left home once when I was living and working in Central City, a rough area of New Orleans. He came back after several weeks, tired and dirty. He lived a happy cat's life with me for several more years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a cute post. My mom used to bake the Rhodes frozen bread dough on Wednesdays. I had one friend in particular that always walked home with me on Wednesdays; you could smell that bread from a block away!

    I don't bake bread today, but I do keep an eye out for a heavy, hearty, whole-grain wheat bread. LaBrea made one, but now I have to go out of my way to buy it. I get annoyed when other places claim that they have the "same thing" at their stores. Come on! Whole wheat is NOT the same as whole grain bread. Maybe I should learn to use a bread machine :)

    ReplyDelete

Backtalk is welcome here.