In the complicated way of families nowadays, this dear man isn't the father my own kids honored yesterday, but Good Guy raised two fine boys basically alone.
Their mom was there during their young life, but by the time they were school age, it was just the three of them. So GG was the cook, laundry guy, and occasionally--the janitor. When I look at the pictures they took I see lots of smiling and lots of kittens and cats. They took trips and went places. They ate out at exotic (like Chinese) restaurants, where the kids ate rice if they didn't want to try new foods. He drove long distances so they could visit their mom during the summer.
He wasn't planning to spend his life teaching English, but to provide stability for the kids, he stayed put where they were. For a man who loves to travel, it was a sacrifice.
The sons have said to me, "The best thing our mother ever did for us was to leave us with Dad!" I think they're right.
Says a lot about the character of the man...You and your children, all of them, are blessed....He should give classes to other men about what it takes to be a "real" man....
ReplyDeleteLove from NC
I haven't met GG, but I certainly respect you for acknowledging his fine points as a father and your husband. Kudos to both GG and UP Annie.
ReplyDeleteWhat a great tribute, Annie!
ReplyDeleteHe's also a fun-loving and warm-hearted uncle. What an easy man to love.
ReplyDeleteOh yes, indeed he is. What I always loved about him, even when we were (very) young was his irreverent humor. I wasn't brave enough to be that way myself, but I admired his bravery
Delete