Sunday afternoon in Troy, Michigan finds us hanging out in our room, watching golf, and writing.
We need to recuperate after yesterday which we spent with The Kid, schlepping from one crowded place with little parking to another. We went to the Eastern Market in downtown Detroit--a wonder of plants, vegetables, and specialty shops. We have often been there before, wisely going on weekdays.
It was a whirling, swirling bazaar on the weekend, really something to see.
Our second adventure took us all to the Detroit Zoo, another popular destination on a sunny Saturday. We took special joy in seeing the penguins, the lions, and flamingos. Many large animals were having a siesta in shady spots---and by the time we left I envied them with all my heart.
For dinner we braved another crowd to have a tasty meal at Red Lobster. The Kid didn't care where we ate, and Good Guy always likes to give me a treat if he can. And I love Red Lobster, so off we went.
I don't think anything amazing happened during our time together, but it was very good to see him healthy and employed and have him see that we are aging in a semi-dignified manner, just as he expected of us. So we can part without having to worry about each other.
I did impart some secret family information to him, which he requested. Namely my secret for excellent pie crust----my only culinary triumph. I wrote it out for him, and as he tucked it into his wallet, he said he'd memorize it and burn the paper, in true spy fiction manner. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.
Our weather forecast is for really bad thunderstorms late this afternoon, so we are staying put until the morning as we originally planned, The Kid has to leave for a week or more in Nashville by five P.M. so our visit is officially over.
We will do this more often, I think.
Ah, the exhaustion that comes with a good time ... one of life's joys :-)
ReplyDeleteAnd now I want one of the cheddar biscuits from Red Lobster ...
Oh yes! Reason enough to make the trip. I found a website once that had famous recipes from restaurants and made cheddar biscuits. Part of what sent me to WWatchers.
DeleteI'm not sure if I've ever "schlepped" or not. It is a term you use, and one I like, though I don't think I've ever said nor written it even ONCE before this comment.
ReplyDeleteI LOVE a good Red Lobster. I've been to some that weren't, good that is. The good ones are hard to beat, IMHO
A small linguistic lesson. Schlepp is Yiddish for, well, moving under duress, is the closest I can come. After living for extended periods in Chicago and Skokie, I have adopted a great many descriptive Yiddish words into my Swedish vocabulary. laughing... I find Yiddish more colorful than Swedish.
DeleteWhat a great trip! I never ate lobster and feel sorry for them when I see them swimming around at Giant Eagle waiting for someone to buy them only to cook them. I am not at all tempted to eat one.
ReplyDeleteActually, none of us ate lobster either. GG and I had shrimp, and The Kid had chicken.
Delete