Friday, July 20, 2012

Bits on Friday

Hi, Fellow Fragmented Friends,

Mrs. 4444 at Half Past Kissin Time lets us link up and share on Fridays.  Check out the others HERE.

We are pathetically grateful for this little break in the heat wave.  We even got out to walk this morning between the fog lifting and the heat descending.  It's a delicate thing, timing when to go.

While we were in the northern suburbs of Chicago earlier this week, we drove to Arlington Heights to find a culinary delight we've never found anywhere else.  A restaurant called Johnnie's has Italian lemonade---a treat that's like no other on a 100 degree day.  It's like the finest ground ice in the world permeated with lemon flavor.  It is heaven when the weather is hot.  For less than four dollars we both got an hour of escape from the heat.

My garden is lush with sugar snap peas, flowering beans, trillions of little tomatoes, beet greens galore and radishes--now going to seed.  I need to get in there and pull them all out.

When I returned I had two books in my mail stack.  One was another copy of 29 Gifts, and the second was How to be an Everyday Philanthropist by Nicole Bouchard Boles.  It is really full of great information!

What must it be like to write your best, and sometimes only, work early in your career as a writer?  Think of To Kill a Mockingbird, or Catch 22.  I think that must be frustrating even if you have written something iconic.

I have relatives visiting the area from Wyoming.  I have to try to find and see them today--somehow.  They are camping and both of them have cell phones, but around here cell phone service is tricky if you are down in a hollow near a lake shore.  We shall see.

Sometimes people get trapped by their good deeds.  My sis and her husband have a place on Lake Superior where, for years, they have hosted a soiree on the day of a local bluegrass jamboree.  She doesn't sound like it has quite the charm it used to have, though now it is more of a potluck than it used to be.  I'm hoping the weather is cooperative for the Jamboree.  (The generation of listeners has gone from the tie-dye, bell-bottom crowd to the pot-bellied, polyester crowd.)  The irony!

That's enough fragments.  I have to go and see what Karen has learned this week!  I count on her to keep me in the knowledge loop.

8 comments:

  1. We are enjoying the rain and a little break from the heat too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "...from the tie-dye, bell-bottom crowd to the pot-bellied, polyester crowd.." funny and we are the generation so hooked on change. Our pot-bellied changes are quite revolting now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Italian Lemonade. It is perfect on a hot day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love to hear about people's gardens. Where I live now, gardening is pretty much the same year-round. One misses the excitement of a summer garden.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Furthermore, Ii'd sure like to know when it was that I went from the bell bottom to the pot belly crowd.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your sister is brave to host a jamboree. And I like the time difference in your description of the blue grass admirers. Sounds like your garden has been very fruitful this season!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Italian lemonade, nothing like something good and cold on a hot summer day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Karen always teaches me something! She's so great :)

    The lemon ice sounds wonderful. Today's heat was brutal; Milo drove me a bit crazy by the end of the evening, given that he had no walk today. Thankfully, he's crashed now.

    Congrats on your green thumb :)

    Thanks for linking up. I hope all is well with you.

    ReplyDelete

Backtalk is welcome here.